This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to add new devices into monitoring list?

Hi all, i am really new for NPM, currently i had a project to add in MIB files into the solarwind server, and i had read lots of article said that custom MIB must submit to the Orion support team and can't add by our own. I know it was an old question but I would like to ask that is it still possible to add in custom MIB into NPM server?I have no idea where to start and how to start. Does it need any database skill to add in the MIB?i had follow some article but i can't success. So i hope u guys can lend me a hand to help me finish this project. I really getting fed up for it. Furthermore I had a file with cfg extensions, does it need to add into the NPM server as well? Hope to hear u guys soon. Thanks alot

• Hi,

Please open up a ticket with our support team. We can assist you with getting the customized MIB file created.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Also, NPM can do all of it's polling without needing specific MIBs.  Interface polling, CPU and Memory, and device descriptions are all handled without specific MIB's being specified.

Where MIBs do come in handy is in the UnDP(Universal Device Poller).  When the MIB's are provided, you can easily search for items, and all the details are filled out in regards to the type of data that's being polled.  If the OID you want to poll with the UnDP isn't in the MIB, you can just specify those values manually and NPM will be just fine.

• Also, NPM can do all of it's polling without needing specific MIBs.  Interface polling, CPU and Memory, and device descriptions are all handled without specific MIB's being specified.

Where MIBs do come in handy is in the UnDP(Universal Device Poller).  When the MIB's are provided, you can easily search for items, and all the details are filled out in regards to the type of data that's being polled.  If the OID you want to poll with the UnDP isn't in the MIB, you can just specify those values manually and NPM will be just fine.

Hi, can you show me the step by step for the process? Cause I was really not familiar with the Orion. At the moment I also not sure what is the OID for my mib files. BTW, how to open the ticket for your support team?

• To submit a ticket:  http://www.solarwinds.com/support/ticket/

For the Universal Device Poller:  Start>Programs>SolarwindsOrion>NetworkPerformanceMonitor>UniversalDevicePoller  click the + sign at the top left corner to create a new UnDP.  You can enter the OID if you have it, or you can select Browse MIB Tree to find what you are looking for.  I recommend having the OID handy.  If you don't know the OID, I would suggest a MIB walk on the device using the Engineer's toolset if you have it to find the OID.  It will populate the name and description fields for you, but you can change them if you want.  Under the Advanced Options, you will see that you can do get, getnext, and gettable; you also have the option to select the data type being pulled and can set enumerated values need be.  Then you can choose and test against your device(s), and finally choose if it will be shown on the website.  It is a fairly simple process.  Hope this helps. :)