This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Allow for duplicate ip addresses

Hello,

I have a question concerning Solarwinds allowing duplicate ip addresses.  Let me say up front I have used Solarwinds at my previuos 2 employers and would like to bring Orion in to my new employer but one thing stopping that is the ablitity to allow for dupicate ip addresses.

What we are doing is we have hundreds of customers at different sites that have an internet gateway with a public ip address.  Under that gateway are multiple devices with private ip addresses.  What we need to do is discover those private ip addresses behind the gateway.  The way we would be able to do that is to enter the ip address of the gateway with the SNMP port number and community string of the device behind the gateway. 

Example: to discover both devices under the internet gateway,

• SW02 I would put in the gateway ip address 4.30.4.200 with a SNMP port of 60002 and a community of example
  • SW03 I would put in the gateway ip address 4.30.4.200 with a SNMP port of 60003 and a community of example

I guess my question would be is can you do this in Orion today and if not would it be something Solarwinds would entertain doing in the next 6 months to a year?

Today I have 2 of your competitors which have this capability so that tells me it can be done.  However, my preference would be to use Solarwinds but I really cannot make the case if it cannot provide the ability to do what we need it to do.

Thanks

• This request has seen a lot of attention on this thread.  Please add your voice to the movement and know that we're hearing you.

My apologies!  I misread the original posting.

Thank you,
    DH

• Actually Danielle this is a separate issue.  Your other post is referring to multiple IPs on the same device...this post is for multiple devices with the same IP address.

SDSCYR, When I managed a NOC I was faced with the same issues for some of our customers.  The problem with the method you are describing while you can utilize SNMP in that method you cannot utilize ICMP in that method.  Because all devices would share 4.30.4.200 for their IP address.  Which means only one device could be monitored.

What we had to do was to put in a low cost firewall that we could VPN into and then monitor the network through the tunnel (by no means my favorite way of monitoring).

As you stated there are other products that can handle the duplicate IP by using agents or local collectors.

• Hello,

I have a question concerning Solarwinds allowing duplicate ip addresses.  Let me say up front I have used Solarwinds at my previuos 2 employers and would like to bring Orion in to my new employer but one thing stopping that is the ablitity to allow for dupicate ip addresses.

What we are doing is we have hundreds of customers at different sites that have an internet gateway with a public ip address.  Under that gateway are multiple devices with private ip addresses.  What we need to do is discover those private ip addresses behind the gateway.  The way we would be able to do that is to enter the ip address of the gateway with the SNMP port number and community string of the device behind the gateway. 

Example: to discover both devices under the internet gateway,

• SW02 I would put in the gateway ip address 4.30.4.200 with a SNMP port of 60002 and a community of example
    • SW03 I would put in the gateway ip address 4.30.4.200 with a SNMP port of 60003 and a community of example

I guess my question would be is can you do this in Orion today and if not would it be something Solarwinds would entertain doing in the next 6 months to a year?

Today I have 2 of your competitors which have this capability so that tells me it can be done.  However, my preference would be to use Solarwinds but I really cannot make the case if it cannot provide the ability to do what we need it to do.

Thanks

In a few months we are going to implement MPLS we will need this feature for sure!