This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using the Trap Viewer - Emailing Trap upon receiving

Hello, 

I am using the Trap Viewer in the attempt to setup a rule which will create an e-mail in the event a netbotz camera detects the temperature in the data center has crossed a threshold.  I have configured the netbotz camera to send the trap and I see the trap in the trap viewer within the Orion server.

My problem is that the alert action "Send E-Mail/Page" is not functioning correctly.  I know the issue is not with my SMTP setup as I am using the Advanced Alert Manager to send out automatic e-mails all the time.

Back to the SNMP Trap Viewer.  I clicked on the received trap in the trap viewer and then right clicked on it and selected "add rule"

Below are all the settings I have chosen for this, please point out anything I have forgotten. Thanks.

I took screenshots instead of typing everything out.

Below is the actual trap received by the Trap Viewer from within Orion.

• My problem is that the alert action "Send E-Mail/Page" is not functioning correctly.

-Are you receiving emails but not with expected data?

-If yes the trap condition is true

-If no then there should be something wrong with the trap condition.

Everything else looks good for me.

• I am not receiving any e-mails, even though I can see the trap.

I don't know whats going wrong with the trap condition, it appears to be correct, I have used the "Right-Click-Add-Rule" in the past and it has worked (but that was for discarding traps).

Is there any way of actually watching what the system does when it receives the trap?  Is there a log file somewhere I can look at to see what the system did?

Zach

• In your trap condition can you try using "contains" rather than "is equal to".After changing the alert condition,goto alert actions tab.Add a new action called "Flag a trap with specific color".This should help to figure out if the alert condition is met or incorrect.

Hope you should be able to go from there.Let us know your progress.

Thank you.

• Hi - Did this one ever get resolved?? I have exactly the same issue. I changed the condition to contains but still don't receive the emails. The also get the traps changing colour so it looks like the conditions are being met. I am receving emails from other Solarwinds functions so am pretty sure the email set up is correct.

Any other suggestions?