This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IBM DS4700 storage perfomance

Could you please assist me regarding how to check the Storage performance.  We are using IBM DS4700 for SQL Database. LUN ID “Database” for SQL database and LUN ID “Logs” for SQL Logs. Our application Team complaining that SQL performance very slow  and I need to check the SAN LUN performance. When I open  SolarWinds Storage there is many option in the “Chart:” which option I need to select mainly and what is the definition of each components? Is there any recommenced IO performance? Kindly advice

Database LUN

Logs LUN
Bibin Babu
  • Could you please assist me regarding how to check the Storage performance.  We are using IBM DS4700 for SQL Database. LUN ID "Database" for SQL database and LUN ID "Logs" for SQL Logs. Our application Team complaining that SQL performance very slow  and I need to check the SAN LUN performance. When I open  SolarWinds Storage there is many option in the "Chart:" which option I need to select mainly and what is the definition of each components? Is there any recommenced IO performance? Kindly advice

Database LUN

Logs LUN

Regards

Bibin Babu

System Administrator

• Hi!

please click the 'Disk Perf' link above your chart - that will give you basic idea how disc is busy. However, if you need to find cause, I suggest to try APM - which is awesome not only for SQL. But, if you're using MS SQL or Oracle, please use following steps: click 'Settings' -> 'All Resources' -> 'Add' and choose 'Application MS-SQL' or 'Application Oracle'.

This will give you access to following performance data:
    - CPU Usage
    - Hit Ratio
    - I/O Busy
    - Total Server Memory MB

• Hi,

If you have upgraded to STM 5.1, you can drill down on the Database or Logs LUN Target View and see what VM are driving load (if present) and see if other LUNs on the same Volume Group are loading up the disks.  It should tell you if you if the LUN is overloaded or if the Volume Group is overloaded.

Brian

• To all following this discussion--would you please continue the conversation on this thread?

Much appreciated!
    DH

• DS4700 IBM.docx

Hi Team,

Here i have attached the Database and log LUN's  total I/Os screenshots. Please check and let me know whether  this LUN's perfomace is good or not.Do i need to check any other option for checking this SAN performance?Now i can see all the performance from storage profile but i don't know how to explain each option and what option we need to check mainly for SAN perfomance and what is the recommended performance like 5<less- good

5-10 < better

10-20> bad

please advice

regards

Bibin