5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2011 8:26 AM by kevin2me

Add escalation to reset action

Ovad

Hi,

We are sending the alerts from NPM to NP dashboard and found that there are lots of alerts that cleared on NPM but stil open in HP dashboard. the reason for that is that the single clear that was send did not arrive to the dashboard and thus remain open there. Having the escalation option for the reset action the same way it is in the trigger option would solve this problem  since it allows resending teh clear.

We have a huge problem and this feature is very important for us.

Thanks,

Ovad

• Re: Add escalation to reset action
          kevin2me

Hi Ovad,

It seems this issue is related to your Ticketing System,
          Orion alert triggers and it sends something to your Ticketing System to Create open Ticket.
          Usually this is done by having NPM Alerts - Send an Email in certain Format, this is fairly simple tos etup.

But you also want something to Auto Close the Ticket?
          For this to work, what you need to do is have the Tickets you create in HP be created with non standard ticket Number.

Example:
          AlertStatus Table has certain fields in it that you could use a concatenation of these fields to create unique ticket number.
          You could use a combination of “${AlertName}${NetObjectID}” or just {$AcknowledgeURL} which contains unique string for each alert (composed of AlertDefId:NetObjectID), you don’t even have to parse it, just treat it as unique identifier.

All of these macros are supported in both trigger and reset actions.
          So you can then use this again on Alert RESET when you need to Close the Ticket in your ticketing System.

Orion/TTS Integration Technical Reference
          http://www.solarwinds.com/support/Orion/docs/OrionTTIntegration.pdf

Also Here is another example of someone using HP Service Center:
          Who integrates Orion with ticketing systems?  How do you do it?  --Feedback requested 

Ovad

Hi Kevin - this is not the case, I do have reset defind that normaly close teh ticket. The problem is that under some situtaions like major naetwork failure Orion send alert rest but it does not arrive to teh dashboard due to some connectivity problem.

Triggering the alert reset again after teh entire network is stable will close ticket , vbut this is exactly what I am asking  - having teh ability to resent the reset periodically.

I am not aware of any way that I can do it automatically.

Thanks,

Ovad

kevin2me

Hi,

Problem is Any ACTIVE Alerts will only be appear AlertStatus DB table at that time,
                  once Reset, record is gone from AlertStatus table.

Due to above the Alert RESET Action "E-mail" does not include an Alert Escalation Tab. So yes out of the box its not possible to resend.

I suggest to troubleshoot the Connectivity issues.

Other than that only thing I can think of is if Ticketing System could read AlertStatus table and if Record corresponding to any Open Tickets no longer exist in there then autoClose Ticket. Just be careful that SW Tickets in HP are only open tickets to be checked against.

Kev

Ovad

It's not by mail but running external program that communicate with hp ovo.

On large networks where the dashboard is located on different site than teh NPM, theer might be a situation that alerts where triggered and sent to teh dashboard and later on due some WAN problem the clear was sent but did not arrive to thedashboard because it being send only once and that's it.

If it was not an issue I wouldn't raise it but it's happend all the time, I am talking about 60 sites over the globe and distributed NPM.

We must have some way to regenerate the reset action, because todaty we are spending hours doing it manually and the noc is spending time on alerts that were already closed.

If you could provide the ability to resend the reset action for a limited period of time it would be great.

Thanks,

Ovad

kevin2me

Hi Ovad,

Thanks for the detailed reply, I know exactly what your after here, but at present their is no method to do this.
                        And again we are limited by fact that after first time Alert resets, record no longer exists so there is no way to retrigger it,

Also infact only Alert Trigger Email Action even has a Alert Escalation Tab that does what you need,
                        it doesnt exist in Alert Reset email or any other Action for that matter.

I think what could be done here though is edit your External Application.
                        Either build redundancy into the External Application that it can retry x times until it returns back it completely successfully.

Or alternatively if redundancy isnt possible,
                        at minimum you could simply tell your Eternal Applaication to run 3 times, say once every x minutes,
                        this will work as long as HP ovo doesnt mind getting same info sent to it 3 difference times,
                        so if sends successfully any of 3 times other tries are  ignored\make no difference and  Ticket is closed.

Kevin