This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Needs Your MIB Walks

The APM development team is currently working on delivering some great new server hardware monitoring features, but we need your help. There are countless different models of servers that have been released over the years from HP, IBM, and Dell, and there's simply no way SolarWinds can test them all without your help.

We're currently seeking volunteers willing to perform SNMP MIB walks against their HP, IBM and Dell servers. These MIB walks will be used to test and ensure the hardware monitoring features currently being developed will work properly with your servers.

If you want to make sure the next release of APM can properly monitor the health of your servers hardware we strongly encourage your participation.

What we need:  An SNMP MIB walk using the tool provided from your physical servers that have the vendor supplied agent installed. This agent can be HP’s Insight Management agent, Dell OpenManage agent, or IBM Director agents currently installed on your servers.

The tool is fairly simple and straightforward to use. Enter the IP address of the Server running the agent as well as the community string and click "scan".

Alternate method: If you'd prefer to use NET-SNMP instead of the tool provided above you can download and install NET-SNMP from http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/ 

Win32 binaries are available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/net-snmp/files/net-snmp%20binaries/5.5-binaries/net-snmp-5.5.0-1.x86.exe/download

Run this command from “installation directory/bin/”: snmpwalk -v 2c -c public -O netU 127.0.0.1 1 > output.txt
(change the IP address and community string accordingly, and don’t forget there is 1 after IP address. It means it will scan whole SNMP tree)

What Now: Both methods will generate a single file per server containing a complete MIB walk of the device. We recommend naming this file the make and model of the device that was scanned. For example "DELL_1850.txt". 

These files can then be posted here in this thread in response to this posting as an attachment. If you're concerned about the potentially sensitive information contained in the MIB file I recommend zipping the files and password protecting them before posting. You can then PM me the password. All posted MIB walks in this thread will be deleted after being collected by the APM development team.

Alternatively, if you're not comfortable posting the MIB walks here, please PM me and I'll provide you instructions for sending them to me directly.

The more people who participate, and the more servers we receive MIB Walks for, the higher the quality of a release we can provide. We encourage everyone to participate and appreciate your willingness to help. 

• Jeremy

Just out of curiosity; do you have plans to do this type of hardware level monitoring on boxes running ESXi where this information is not available via SNMP?  For my company this is the larger problem; very specifically the ability to see failed drives.

• do you have plans to do this type of hardware level monitoring on boxes running ESXi where this information is not available via SNMP?

Yes, we currently have plans to collect hardware information from ESX hosts via CIM. This information however is standardized and easier to support and implement. We have an early beta of APM with support for VMWare that's currently available. If you're interested in checking it out, let me know and I'll get it over to you. 

• Yes, we currently have plans to collect hardware information from ESX hosts via CIM. This information however is standardized and easier to support and implement. We have an early beta of APM with support for VMWare that's currently available. If you're interested in checking it out, let me know and I'll get it over to you. 

If you say it's there, I trust you, no need to install a beta.

I can't say how happy I am to hear this, thanks!

• Hi,

I have a lot of interest in the addition of OpenManage integration in APM.  I would be happy to send over some snmpwalk output from our various Dell systems, but would prefer to email it directly rather than post here.  Please send me an email to confirm.  (Use the private email address associated with my profile.)

• Not a problem. I PM'd you directly. Anyone else who'd like to participate but would rather send the MIB walks to me via email let me know. Your participation is the most important part. Thanks again to everyone who's participated already. Keep them coming!

• Not a problem. I PM'd you directly. Anyone else who'd like to participate but would rather send the MIB walks to me via email let me know. Your participation is the most important part. Thanks again to everyone who's participated already. Keep them coming!

I could send you MIB walks for HP Proliants DL 380. I'd prefer sending it to email.

• tdvojmoc, I emailed you directly as well. I look forward to receiving your MIB walks.

We could still use quite a few more MIB walks. IBM Servers especially. If you have IBM xSeries servers we'd really appreciate your participation. In the meantime, keep those Dell & HP MIB walks coming. The more server hardware variations, configurations, agent versions we can test against, the more solid this feature will be for everyone.   Thanks again to everyone who's sent their MIB walks in. We really appreciate it.

• I'll have multiple different IBM models.  If you could send me an email, I'll forward directly to you.

• natem50, I just emailed you directly. We're look forward to receiving those MIB walks from your IBM Servers. 

• Does a Cisco MCS 7845I3 have any interest? (re-badged IBM 7947PAQ).

Drop me an e-mail and I'll send directly if you would like it.

Dave.

Edit: I ran the snmpwalk tool and received an ASN.1 decoding error after 720 OID's. The Engineers MIB Walk tool works ok - is an export from this tool ok for you to work with?