4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2011 2:56 PM by Dav0319

*** NCM 7.0 RC2 Known Issues - Read before upgrading! ***

fcaron

Hi,

A few items that we recently found about NCM 7.0 RC2 that you should read before upgrading your NCM 6.x.

- During the upgrade process, the NCM 7.0 installer will restart your Orion core services, and therefore impact your core-based products, for a few minutes.

- If your NCM 6.x license has expired (e.g. happens if you have not applied your new key), you will not be able to complete the NCM 7.0 upgrade process successfully.

You may see this error: You may see an error stating: The installation cannot continue due to the maintenance associated with the installed license key has expired. Please login to the customer portal at http://www.solarwinds.com and obtain a new key.

You can also confirm this by looking at the expiration date displayed in your License Manager for NCM 6.x (see screenshot below)

The workaround is as follows:

1. Ensure that the SW License Manager is not running.
      2. Right-click on My Computer and go to Properties.
      3. Click the Advanced Tab.
      4. Click on the Environmental Variables.
      5. Under User Variables click New. 
      5. Add the variable "SW_LM_DELETE" with a value of "1".
      6.  Next, start the SW License Manager and select the maintenance-expired NCM V6.x license.
      5.  Next, click Delete to remove the license.
      6.  Close License Manager.
      7.  Go back to the Environmental Variables and remove the “SW_LM_DELETE”.
      8.  Next, install NCM v7.0

• Re: *** NCM 7.0 RC2 Known Issues - Read before upgrading! ***
          mkomeara

I just downloaded the NCM 7.0 upgrade and tried to run it to install NCM 7.0 in standalone mode following the instructions in the Quick Start Guide.  But the Config Wizard prompted for my existing NPM dabatase and I don't want to integrate NCM and NPM.  I have the NCM and NPM databases on the same MS SQL server.  And the Guide isn't much help.  So how can I install NCM on its own server without NPM integration with its database on a separate MS SQL server?

• Re: *** NCM 7.0 RC2 Known Issues - Read before upgrading! ***
            Dav0319

I have a similar problem.  I only have NCM and Engineer Toolkit.  When I tried to update NCM to version 7.0, it tried to create another table in SQL Server but I was not logged in with an SA account; therefore the install failed.  Now NCM is completely dead - I can't even bring the program up.  I've called support three times, waited through 30 minute wait queues trying to find out what table is being created and how much space it will need on the SQL Server.  I need to provide this information to our DBA before I will be allowed to use an SA account to create a new table.

I am not trying to integrate NCM with anything else and this is a standalone server. 

Does anyone know what table it is trying to create and how much space it needs?

Thanks

As an update; Support answered with the following:

The following new tables have been added in NCM 7.0:

ApproveQueue – size depends from number of waiting Config change approval requests as well as size of script which needs to be approved. In most cases size is small

ApproveQueueNodes - size depends from number of waiting Config change approval requests as well as size of script which needs to be approved. In most cases size is small.

UserLevelLoginCredentials – size is small