9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2011 2:25 PM by aLTeReGo

Basic printer support in NPM

tdvojmoc

Hi,

Nowadays a lot of printers talk SNMP. I believe basic support for printer monitoring would nicely round up NPM's out of the box support for different devices/technologies. UnDP and view tweaking could be used for more peculiar management objects and parameters.

In context of printers the consumables status, usage and error reporting would be of my interest.

Thanks for encouraging users initiative. 

• Re: Basic printer support in NPM
          aLTeReGo

Printer monitoring is something we hope to add as part of APM in a future release. See the following blog posting for more information.

SolarWinds APM–What’s on tap for vNext? 

tdvojmoc

Printer monitoring is something we hope to add as part of APM in a future release. See the following blog posting for more information.

SolarWinds APM–What’s on tap for vNext? 

This would IMHO change the outline of your products.

How do you plan to license the printer monitoring (e. g. Black cartridge status on one printer = 1 APM Monitor Licence)?

aLTeReGo

How do you plan to license the printer monitoring (e. g. Black cartridge status on one printer = 1 APM Monitor Licence)?

It's not finalized as of yet, but our plan is actually make it easier than that. The printer itself would consume a node license and nothing else. The monitoring of the consumables, printer status, etc would be non-license consuming features of the APM product. 

KFowler

I currently have Xerox and HP printers and I send alerts to the supply custodian when the levels reach 5% so they will always have stock on hand.  When the level of the ink, fuser catridges etc reached 1% the helpdesk receives an email and they go replace the item before it affects the user.  it works out well because the user never expereinces an outage and we print a ton of items.

tdvojmoc

I currently have Xerox and HP printers and I send alerts to the supply custodian when the levels reach 5% so they will always have stock on hand.  When the level of the ink, fuser catridges etc reached 1% the helpdesk receives an email 

How do you monitor supplies statuses? UnDP within NPM?

How many printers do you have and how many UnDP per device on average?

Thanks.

KFowler

We have about 20 printers or so.  Before I try and tell you the process I need to let you know I just figured it out with the help of a Solarwinds expert at the helpdesk. 

You can monitor the supplies by doing the following:

1. Do a MIB walk of the IP address of the printer. (If you have different model printers you will need to do a MIB walk on each model.)

2.  When it's completed scroll down the page until you see something that shows a description of the supplies.  It will say samething like black printer cartridge.

3. You will also see a MIB that says somethling like total amount currently.

4.  You will see a MIB that says total supply available.  These last 2 items are really what you need.

5.  You will then create a poller that monitors the total amount left in the cartridge.

6.  You will then transform those results using the name of the poller, multipling it by 100 and then dividing by the the total supply level associated with #4 in my steps.

7.  You then assign it to a node.

8.  Then you create an alert using this information and have it notify you when the status is say 5 for 5% ofcyan toner left, which is what your transformation does. 

So what I do is have it email our supply custodian when it's 5% so he can order the toner, fuser kits, etc.  Then at 1% I have an alert sent to the helpdesk so they can proactively change it so there is no printer downtime. 

There are a lot of consumables you can moitor on the printer you just need to find them in the MIB and inmy experience they are all very close together and the description of the mib is usually something like prtsuppliesmarker. 

I know this is confusing, let me know if there is anythign you need me to cover in more detail.