28 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2016 11:49 AM by mulder85gr

Orion SDK, Add network interface and Volumes

lmas

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the great SDK you provide :d). I'm using the powershell api, and it works fine.

I have several questions about how to add network interface and volumes for monitoring.

My problem is how to find the network interface index and name, and how to find the volumes index and caption; Is there a way to collect them using API as in the web interface when we click on List Resources?

My second question is about when I had a volume (I get the index and the name manually) and I'm using the API (following code), i have an error on Volume Polling Details : The "Volume Polling Details " resource threw an exception..
      Specified cast is not valid.

powershell Code:

$newVolProps = @{
       NodeID=$nodeProps["NodeID"]; # NodeID on which the interface is working on
       VolumeIndex=[int]$VolumeIndex;
       Status=0;
       Type ="Fixed Disk";
       Icon ="FixedDisk.gif";
       Caption=$VolumeCaption;
       VolumeDescription=$VolumeDescription;

}
       $newVolUri = New-SwisObject $swis –EntityType "Orion.Volumes" –Properties $newVolProps
       $VolProps = Get-SwisObject $swis -Uri $newVolUri
       # register specific pollers for the node
       # Disk Poller

$poller = @{
       PollerType="Poller_VO";
       NetObject="V:"+$VolProps["VolumeID"]
       }
       $pollerUri = New-SwisObject $swis -EntityType "Orion.Pollers" -Properties $poller

thanks for your help

• Re: Orion SDK, Add network interface and Volumes
          tom.rybka

Imas,

To your first question, we are working on a design of more comfortable API that would cover the complexity of respective use cases.

To the second question, please try to initialize/set the RediscoveryInterval (PollInterval and StatCollection eventually, too) properties for volume entities. Although the properties are not declared in Orion.Volumes entity type, they should be recognized and this should help you.

tdanner

Here's an updated version of this script that works with NPM 10.6:

Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

$nodeProps = @{NodeID=6}

$VolumeIndex = 31

$VolumeDescription = '/'

$VolumeCaption = '/'

$swis = Connect-Swis -Certificate

$newVolProps = @{

NodeID=$nodeProps["NodeID"]; # NodeID on which the interface is working on

VolumeIndex=[int]$VolumeIndex;

Status=0;

Type ="Fixed Disk";

Icon ="FixedDisk.gif";

Caption=$VolumeCaption;

VolumeDescription=$VolumeDescription;

PollInterval=120;

StatCollection=15;

RediscoveryInterval=30;

NextRediscovery=[DateTime]::UtcNow;

}

$newVolUri = New-SwisObject $swis -EntityType "Orion.Volumes" -Properties $newVolProps

$VolProps = Get-SwisObject $swis -Uri $newVolUri

Write-Host $newVolUri

foreach ($pollerType in @('V.Status.SNMP.Generic','V.Details.SNMP.Generic','V.Statistics.SNMP.Generic')) {

$poller = @{

PollerType=$pollerType;

NetObject="V:"+$VolProps["VolumeID"];

NetObjectType="V";

NetObjectID=$VolProps["VolumeID"];

}

$pollerUri = New-SwisObject $swis -EntityType "Orion.Pollers" -Properties $poller

}

# Trigger a PollNow on the node to cause other properties and stats to be filled in

Invoke-SwisVerb $swis Orion.Nodes PollNow @("N:" + $nodeProps["NodeID"])

HerrDoktor

Hi TIm, will the NextRediscovery variable also work for other Locals?

e.g. on a german Machine?

I also want to set the NextRediscovery but once I add this Parameter the Script errors out.

I assume this is because the SQL Database requres this in US - Locals format.

hodgese

I used tdanner's code and it works to create a volume on my Windows host - but it doesn't work right when it comes to actually polling the drive.

I put in "1", "C:\", and "C:\" for the Index, Description, and Caption. Although C:\ now shows up on the device's status page, it can't actually poll the drive. Perhaps I've specified the wrong information? How does SolarWinds link up the volume I've created with the SDK to an actual volume on the Windows host?

tdanner

Are you polling this Windows host from Orion using SNMP or WMI? My script above is for SNMP nodes.

"How does SolarWinds link up the volume I've created with the SDK to an actual volume on the Windows host?"

For SNMP, this works by matching up the VolumeIndex property with the corresponding SNMP volume index (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.1).

hodgese

I'm polling the Windows host with SNMP. I walked the MIB to 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.1 (which I confirmed corresponds to C:) and indeed it has an index of 1. So basically I run the code you have above but with a VolumeIndex of 1.

Here is the strange thing though: I run the code, and query the Orion.Volumes table and see the disk in there with an Index and VolumeIndex of 1. However, when I query a few moments later, the Index and VolumeIndex have changed to "0"! Of course, it's not going to successfully poll the drive using an index of 0. Any idea why that may be happening?

tdanner

I think I see what the problem is. Orion needs the VolumeDescription property to exactly match the value in the hrStorageDescr OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3). The reason for this is that the index for volumes can change over time and Orion uses this hrStorageDescr value to keep the volume connected with its history even when it changes indexes. Unlike net-snmp on Linux, which just puts the volume mount point in hrStorageDescr, Windows populates hrStorageDescr with the drive letter, the volume label, and the volume serial number. So the hrStorageDescr for the C: drive on my desktop machine is "C:\ Label:Primary  Serial Number fe6f1d6b". When I use that as the value for VolumeDescription, Orion polls the newly-created volume object correctly.

hodgese

Got it! You were right that it has to do with the VolumeDescription property. But even when copied and pasted the value in SNMP from a MIB walker into my script, it still failed. After examining a GUI-created volume (for the 3rd time) I finally noticed an extra space in the VolumeDescription property vs. what was in SNMP. There are two spaces after the volume label and before the word "Serial". So a volume that had the description "D:\ Label:Data Serial Number 38606a01" in SNMP had the description "D:\ Label:Data  Serial Number 38606a01" in SolarWinds.

After changing my code to add the extra space, it worked. I'm working on a script that will add a node, with volumes found on the computer using WMI. When I'm done with it, I'll post it on the forum for anyone else who may find it useful.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            achtest

Hi Tim,

when i run the script it says the following:

New-SwisObject : Entity â?EntityType Orion.Volumes â?Properties not found.

At C:\volumeadd.ps1:22 char:28

+ $newVolUri = New-SwisObject <<<<  $swis â?"EntityType $entity â?"Properties $newVolProps

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [New-SwisObject], FaultException`1

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.NewSwisObject

Get-SwisObject :The argument can not be bound to the parameter "uri" because it is NULL.

At C:\volumeadd.ps1:23 char:38

+ $VolProps = Get-SwisObject $swis -Uri <<<<  $newVolUri

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-SwisObject], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisObject

Can you tell me whats wrong? I only changed the volumeindex, description and Caption.

Vanzhou

i want to use SDK.

thanks for your help.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/59387

sw_ross

This looks helpful.  But I'm also looking for how to set "Asset Inventory".

Is that possible via the SDK?

sw_ross

I was able to get the physical drives added properly:

$drives = Get-WmiObject -ComputerName hvacn02 -Class win32_Volume -Filter DriveType=3

$drives = $drives | sort DriveLetter

foreach ($drive in $drives){

$VolumeDescription = "$($drive.Caption) Label:$($drive.Label)  Serial Number $([Convert]::ToString($drive.SerialNumber, 16))";

$VolumeCaption = "$($drive.Caption) Label:$($drive.Label)  $([Convert]::ToString($drive.SerialNumber, 16))";

but I'm still having trouble figuring out how to get "Asset Inventory" to work.  I've run this, but it's not showing checked for the node.  What am I missing?

$poller = @{
                                          PollerType='N.AssetInventory.Snmp.Generic';
                                          NetObject="N:"+[int]$NodeID;
                                          NetObjectType="N";
                                          NetObjectID=[int]$NodeID;
                                      }

Fixed a typo above.  There is a space after Serial Number not a colon in the the VolumeDescription.

HolyGuacamole

I'm not entirely sure if this will help your specific question, but micheal100 has been trying to simplify the use of API in PowerShell. If you haven't seen this, be sure to take a look at  PowerShell Module based on the SDK . One of the Cmdlets available in this module is

• New-OrionInterface