This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser - Password

What is the default password for SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser under Orion Configuration Wizard?

• Hi ekdge,

I believe there is no default password here, are you also managing the SQL server you are using for Orion?you should seek some help from your DBAs or create a new login to use. :)

• Sorry wrong button my eyes are tired...I meant to suggest sirpaw's answer as correct not verify it.  

He is correct though the database user is setup by the installer and there is no default it is defined by the user while configuring.

• well, when I pressed the "Use original database login and password" button it filled out SQL server name as local and provided login and password for the SQL server. It also allowed me to click next from that 1st screen, however, when I tried to provide the existing SQL login in 3rd screen, I couldn't type the password for "SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser". My understanding is there should be a default one as I could go thru the 1st screen as shows above.

I detached earlier, and would like to backup my default DB using the above login to restore if possible for my Lab.

• When you are going through the configuration manager after an initial setup it will attempt to use the previous information.  It is by no means a default it is just auto-populating with the prior settings.

As Sirpaw stated if you do not have the password you will need someone with SQL knowledge to create you a new account to use.

• If the SQL server is installed locally, you will be able to log into it using an Administrator acocunt on the server (the Admins group is added by default with sa privege level). If the SQL server was installed as part of your Orion eval, or you know for certain there's no other databases on there, then you should be OK to change the SA account and password, and then use that account to run the configuration wizard - this will let you create a new account for Orion to read/write to the database with, instead of the default user.

Once you have install Microsoft SQL server management studio Express, please use these instructions to reset the password for your SA account:

- Log into your Orion server using a local administrator account (not a domain account).

- Open SQL server management studio express, and connect using Windows Authentication. You should automatically have access rights to the database when logged on with a local admin account.

- Expand the Security folder, then expand the Logins folder.

- Locate the SA account under here.

- Right click the account and open Properties.

- Change the password and confirm password text boxes and click OK. 

Now, run the configuration wizard again. In the first prompt, enter the new sa account and password. This will provide the configuration wizard with sufficient privileges to create a new account. When prompted about whether to create a new account or to use and existing one, choose to create a new account, and enter in the details. 

(edited to correct my painful spelling there..)

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to ekdge

well, when I pressed the "Use original database login and password" button it filled out SQL server name as local and provided login and password for the SQL server. It also allowed me to click next from that 1st screen, however, when I tried to provide the existing SQL login in 3rd screen, I couldn't type the password for "SolarWindsOrionDatabaseUser". My understanding is there should be a default one as I could go thru the 1st screen as shows above.

I detached earlier, and would like to backup my default DB using the above login to restore if possible for my Lab.

If you just want the current password Orion is using, it's stored in SWNetPerfMon.db in the Orion subfolder of your install, e.g.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Solarwinds\Orion\SWNetPerfMon.db
    (remove the (x86) for 32bit OS)

It's a plain-text file, just open it with Wordpad.

Andy.

• If you just want the current password Orion is using, it's stored in SWNetPerfMon.db in the Orion subfolder of your install, e.g.

Wow great tip Andy....I can't tell you how many times when I was doing consulting I ran into this where we were reconfiguring and the client didn't know their password.  I didn't know there was the ability to look it up.

• Thank you Andy. You answered the password lookup part. 

• Thank you cdoyle. SA login worked for me. I was able to restore that way.