16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2012 11:11 AM by Crezabek

Management dashboard.

aliendan

I am creating a Storage manager dashboard for my management team. I am using report schedules to write the files to a directory. I have fire fox with an add-on called tab slide show. It cycles though the tabs and refreshes them. All seemed well until I found I could not make the same job run every 15 min. So I changed my approach. I created a job every 30 minutes from 6 am to 6pm. I started to run the jobs to find out that each job had a different name. now I’m stuck again. Any ideas or help?

• Re: Management dashboard.
          cshanep

Aliendan, In the reports schedule, can you verify that you have the Publish Report (override) radio button selected for your report? This should give you the same link each time.

aliendan

I have verified I did select overwrite. The problem is I want to run the report every 15 minutes so the dashboard has more current performance charts.

bmrad

Hi,

Yes, you won't be able to keep the names of the files the same with seperate schedules.   We have a feature request to allow schedules to run multiple times a day, but it has not made it to the roadmap yet.

Brian

aliendan

Is there any other way to trigger the schedules, maybe externally?

cshanep

Aliendan,

I just did some testing with SolarWinds SEUM product (http://www.solarwinds.com/products/seum/application-monitoring-software.aspx) to simulate the manual running of scheduled published report, and it was successful. 

I had SEUM simulate the following:

1. A login to Profiler
                          2. Click reports menu item
                          3. Click report schedules
                          4. Click play for scheduled report.

Each time the simulator ran, the report in the C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Storage Manager Server\webapps\ROOT\publish directory was updated with the latest data.

I hope this helps!

aliendan

Does this mean Storage Manager comes with a free copy of  SolarWinds SEUM?

cshanep

No, I was not suggesting that. I was only replying with a solution that I found to work around Profiler's reporting frequency limitation.

bmrad

I am working with our DEV team to give you some advice on how to build a script to do this (no other product required).  Should have an answer in the next day or two - stay tuned.

Brian

noneal

The report schedules are stored in the database table 'reporter_schedules'.  In this table, there is a field 'scheduleTime' that is a millisecond time stamp value of when the schedule will run next.

To have the schedule run every 15 minutes, you will need to update the 'reporter_schedules' table every 15 minutes, and set the 'scheduleTime' field for 15 minutes in the future. Be sure to only update the table for the 'scheduleId' field of the schedule you are interested in.

You can do this with the Windows Task Scheduler to execute a sql script.  Or, you can use the event scheduler within MySQL.   If you do that, be sure to alter your my.ini file for mysql to enable the event scheduler.

Thanks,
                                          Nathan

aliendan

My Storage manager install was originally done by Solarwinds for a POC. What is the default login and password for update rights to the DB?

Crezabek

I was also interested in getting LIVE data out of Storage manager and I created a VBscript that did as you suggested and it's still not working. The script goes into the 'reporter_schedules' table and changes the value of the scheduled report to 30 minutes later for the next run time. I can see the value change but the report never kicks off. After the value changes in the MySQL table to 30 minutes later I notice inside of Storage Manager under "report schedules" the value never changes in there to the new time of 30 minutes later. I refreshed the page cleared cache and it's still showing the original value that you set report up as, BUT if you click to edit the report schedule the time that you changed it to (30 minutes later) is the value that is has selected in the drop down. Hopefully this makes sense.

I really need to get this working and could use some help. Do you know of any under suggestions I could try to have this LIVE reporting automated?

Thanks,

Chris

cshanep

Chris, Is your report schedule setup up to publish?  Also, make sure the report schedule has an email recipient. I had the same problem where the schedule never updated the reports like it should have because there was no reecipient, so I added a dummy email recipient. Take a look at the webserver log for some hits at why the schedule never updated the report like it was supposed to. If the vbscript updates the db table, and it is scheduled through the windows task scheduler or linux cron job, you should be golden. It worked for me!

Reply back if you have any issues and I will try to help guide you.

Crezabek

You're correct. I added the "Dummy" email address into the field and everything seems to be working. I never added the email before because I choose the option to publish the reports. This little tweak works and I'm now able to continually run the report and get the live data I needed. Thanks so much for the help!!