3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 3:59 PM by rboggan

    Problem adding resources to nodes

    rboggan

      Hoping I can get some sort of feedback from you guys. I'm a little tired of going in circles with support on this one.

      We have an orion NPM setup with a 2000 node license (that's nowhere near being full). From any windows XP or 7 box, with fully updated IE, Firefox, and Chrome, when we go to add SNMP resources to a node nothing happens.. Sorta.

      When I do 'list resources' from the node detail page I'm given all of the proper volumes and interfaces present on that node. This tells me SNMP works. I can click the resources I want and click submit, which takes me back to the node detail page. However, nothing is ever created on the node detail page. 

      If I attempt this from a linux PC with Firefox it works fine. If I try this from a windows 2003 and 2008 server with a relatively outdated IE, it works fine. Obviously this points to my machine as the culprit. However, I've tested this from two other machines on the network that weren't set up by me (one w7, one xp) and had the exact same results as above - I can see resources but nothing is ever added.

      I am seeing something interesting on these windows xp and windows 7 machines, though. There are errors being reported with ScriptResources.axd. I think this is directly related to the problem. Support has ignored me every time I've asked them to look at it (possibly for good reason, but it's better than them telling me to run and re-run snmpwalks on the same boxes (that work every damn time)). Here's an output:

      Webpage error details

      User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)

      Timestamp: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 16:47:19 UTC

      Message: Invalid character

      Line: 1

      Char: 7

      Code: 0

      URI: http://orion/ScriptResource.axd?d=O4w_5ctLuHSVkUZIHTE-e1C08TTh2PjJ44XM7ytzldAh6LBRh7ehEAXMjVB0ChREyWaj83IEmlLO6VwJwWo1-8jKs64V1CpIbx2CNrp7qDu0xJjdhQ6A6Qdn7L1ggRlfMb8drd8rp5DPpcQHSMR8YI4Sp3LhL6xaXSz9DfIzeUqv_aD_-MfTih2sNBnyjXdYFpqu5he65_oLmY6n0&t=fffffffff831f0ba

       

      Message: 'ig_csom' is undefined

      Line: 2801

      Char: 2

      Code: 0

      URI: http://orion/ScriptResource.axd?d=ArxUN_MlETULVhqHF9IV4brxGYzUnRqfb3MzsUf5oxCd-VoKRvkmAaCOb6falhx6Y00elOllM-53xsmn9GOSjIWWBzbNAWN5Aa1J9V8VMjeNb_PUKfNOk0U3D8MdDGqW3utg0UBc2rF1g1xwBRlpvd49vKjvZGl9PM1-YuybO81cn24hRvDhD3bl0dc5RjzcCJmOfd9MGSM-IhrkEZUgjWYBHHioAl1ia3JaxgABhT5RNSuW0&t=fffffffff99b2292

       

      Message: 'ig_shared' is undefined

      Line: 448

      Char: 2

      Code: 0

      URI: http://orion/ScriptResource.axd?d=7YBf1gr0ia4JJjNwrr_dc6S_Gp0xV1Fn8TDM0oGuc6J7nCsUl6U3cbqmAO5hXbosxEe38kM6sDhNCMosblIVEMv49Q5MFZBwYM066VWnOIKHJ-I2eHbwbYk1of5phdlcf1gLgJ4PY-YKDRPZHwkwp_-oKeACIDamIt2K8ai9fZTOWk-o6Pd4vucc_gWG_LmqrBdm3fz8OXZDP1sDkkTtf3aIEAaWnpAlIWdlxZ3y9QoUrOST0&t=fffffffff99b2292

       

      Message: 'ig_csom' is undefined

      Line: 795

      Char: 3

      Code: 0

      URI: http://orion/ScriptResource.axd?d=7YBf1gr0ia4JJjNwrr_dc6S_Gp0xV1Fn8TDM0oGuc6J7nCsUl6U3cbqmAO5hXbosxEe38kM6sDhNCMosblIVEMv49Q5MFZBwYM066VWnOIKHJ-I2eHbwbYk1of5phdlcf1gLgJ4PY-YKDRPZHwkwp_-oKeACIDamIt2K8ai9fZTOWk-o6Pd4vucc_gWG_LmqrBdm3fz8OXZDP1sDkkTtf3aIEAaWnpAlIWdlxZ3y9QoUrOST0&t=fffffffff99b2292

       

      Submitting the page with the resources I want checked gives me 5 or 6 more ig_csom undefined errors. I don't see these errors on the linux machine or the servers. Support's latest response was 'run snmpwalk again and show us the results, then run wireshark on the orion server and try it again and send us the results'. I don't think either of those is going to fix the problem.

      Community thoughts?

        • Re: Problem adding resources to nodes
          Nandish

          May be worth running the configuration Wizard.Could you post the support ticket#?

            • Re: Problem adding resources to nodes
              rboggan

              Just deleted the site from IIS and the files from inetpub and re-ran config wizard. Getting the same errors. The support ticket is 277694. 

              This morning I was thinking maybe I'll delete and reinstall the whole thing. This was an upgrade from eval to licensed, that had some issues with over-licensing when I switched it over (we had about 3000 interfaces added, and picked up a SL2000 license). I don't really recall when exactly this started, but I do know I was able to add interfaces and volumes when we were under the eval license.

              Feel free to give any other input after you've perused the ticket, and thanks!

                • Re: Problem adding resources to nodes
                  rboggan

                  For anyone curious, there's a bug that has to do with this that is resolved with 10.2. Once I finally got this ticket escalated to a tech who wasn't completely worthless, the Solarwinds tech saw this specific problem had been noted in the release notes for 10.2. The 'List Resources' page was apparently completely rewritten in 10.2, and it fixes the problem with invalid character that wasn't allowing the script to run properly.