This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Pollers for Optical Port Monitoring

FormerMember
FormerMember

I thought I'd check first to see if anyone has developed any custom UnDP pollers to monitor optical tranceivers from these Cisco MIBs and care to share them?  Why reinvent the wheel?

CISCO-OPTICAL-IF-EXTN-MIB
DESCRIPTION        "A MIB module containing extensions to the IF-MIB for optical
        interfaces. This revision adds a new table coIfXcvrTable to
        control transceivers (lasers and optical receivers)
        at optoelectronic interfaces. It also defines three new
        code points, ethernetPhy, esconPhy and gigabitPhy
        for the coIfTypeExtn object.

CISCO-OPTICAL-MONITOR-MIB
DESCRIPTION        "This MIB module defines objects to monitor optical
        characteristics and set corresponding thresholds on the
        optical interfaces in a network element.

CISCO-OPTICAL-MONITORING-MIB  (This MIB is temporary and experimental.)
DESCRIPTION "This MIB module is used to monitor optical parameters
            of a network element.This MIB deals with the operating
            parameters of the optical layer. The optical layer is a
            term that defines all the devices/systems that deal with
            the conversion of data in it's electrical form to optical
            form, transmission of the optical data, reception, and
            finally re-conversion to electrical signals.

• For all the three MIBs mentioned above,you should be able to create custom pollers to monitor easily.Using the OIDs for the above mentioned MIBs,you can use the Orion Universal Device Poller application.There you can select create New Universal Device Poller and click "Browse MIB tree" option.Then you can drill down to the OID of each MIB run a test to check for the results correspondingly which is displayed on the right side of the MIB browser.

The Orion Administrator Guide explains the process to create a custom UnDP poller in Chapter12.This video tutorial link is also very informative and explains custom UnDP pollers in detail.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Nandish

Nandish,

I understand I can create UDPs and know how to create them very well.  The point was to solicit the community to see if anyone had already gone down this road and created any optical UDPs using these MIBs and not have to start from scratch (i.e., Why reinvent the wheel?).  In that my post has gone unanswered, I will go forth and create my own wheel.

• rgward; did you ever end up building the custom poller to get the information you wanted? Im just about to start this process (using resources such as How to monitor CWDM SFPs metrics using SNMP?|2014600 - Cisco Support Community etc.

I must say.. one of my great frustrations is the inability to import OIDs into Orion... even having a tool whereby you load via a webui and it converts them to something that makes sense for the universal device poler would be good.