2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2011 12:44 PM by bshopp RSS

Gartner 2011 Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring

ctopaloglu

<Brandon Shopp - SolarWinds ---- removed Gartner Magic Quadrant image due to copyright laws>

Where is Orion APM??? Even ManageEngine is there.

• Re: Gartner 2011 Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring
          bshopp

ctopaloglu, sorry, as you know we rarely have to edit or remove posts, but in this instance I had to as the Gartner report is copyright protected material and unless you have redistribution rights from Gartner it should not be posted.  However, I am not ignoring you question and am writing a larger response now to your question.

• Re: Gartner 2011 Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Monitoring
            bshopp

Ctopaloglu, I can see your confusion and why you would ask this question. 

If you look at the market as a whole, there are two distinct and different segments; Systems Management and Application Performance Management or APM, each of these focus on solving different use cases or problems. SolarWinds APM (despite its name) plays primarily in the Systems Management market. This is a problem we are very aware of and are in the process or looking to rename the product to better describe what it actually does and remove this type of confusion. 

The name of the Application Performance Management market, in my opinion, is poorly named in the fact that it is more focused on application diagnostics or deep troubleshooting.  With this being said, the APM space as defined today by analysts is broken into 5 distinct categories:

·        End-user experience monitoring

·        Application runtime architecture discovery and modeling

·        User-defined transaction profiling (Also called Business Transaction Management)

·        Application component deep-dive monitoring

·        Application data analytics

This report just launched and to be considered in this magic quadrant you have to meet 2 of the 5 defined categories as defined.  We just introduced recently our new Synthetic End User Monitor product which fits in the first bullet of End User Experience Monitoring.  However, at the time this research was conducted, it was not in the market yet, so we didn’t match enough criteria for consideration in this research. 

I am very familiar with the ManageEngine application, however, I am not going to get into a he said/she said debate on their product.  However, I will say this, if you look at the other companies and products that are listed within the magic quadrant, I think it is pretty obvious that they look like Waldo in that list.  For those not familiar with “Where’s Waldo”, check out this image.  Everyone in the picture looks the same, except one sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you have the report, I encourage you to read the entire thing and not just look at the graphic.  Read the definition of each of the five sub-categories I defined above and what problems they are asking and solving and I think it will become clearer to you as well. 

Now on the flip side I ask you, what other use cases or areas would you be interested in the APM space?