9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 3:29 PM by cgregors

HP-UX Volume Utilization

mdriskell

So I have about 10 HP Unix boxes in my environment and using SNMP I cannot see volumes only network interfaces.  What other options do I have for monitoring disk utilization?  I do have APM avaliable to me if I have to go with a component.

• Re: HP-UX Volume Utilization
          Malik Haider

This might have cut down version of Unix not providing the information for Volumes. Further to  in order to confirm please use the SNMP Mib Walk.  

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/3145/SolarWinds+SNMP+Walk%3A+A+new+tool+for+collecting+SNMP+MIB+walks

and find out the OID for Volume usage if your Node provides .

Once you have the OID for Volume can Create Universal Device Poller to get the Status from your Volume on Node details. 

http://www.solarwinds.com/resources/democenter/orion/universaldevicepollerintro/

Here is what i have from my Linux box to confirm that i can see the Volume details .

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.1 = String: "Memory Buffers"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.2 = String: "Real Memory"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.3 = String: "Swap Space"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.4 = String: "/"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.5 = String: "/boot"

.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.2.3.1.3.6 = String: "/var/log"

cgregors

The snmpd agent that comes with HPUX doesn't expose the host resource mib at all.

The quickest solution to this problem is to install the HP freeware bundle called

HP-UX Internet Express for HP-UX 11i v2

from

https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=HPUXIEXP1123&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

You can select just the net-snmp portion of the bundle while in swinstall.

Once installed, you can either:

1. disable the stock snmpd agent and enable the net-snmp agent
            2. reconfig the net-snmp agent to listen on a different port (1161 for example) and then run both in parallel.

I suggest option 2 as there are HP dependencies that may break if you disable the stock agent.

If you aren't an HPUX admin person and don't have an HPUX admin in-house, I can step you thru the process. Its not too painless if you know HPUX.

The only downfall I've found with running the second agent is if you use discovery, the stock agent is found on port 161 and the volumes, processes and other host-resource goodies don't show up until you edit the discovered node, change the snmp port to 1161 and search for resources.

Chris.

mdriskell

Once installed, you can either:

1. disable the stock snmpd agent and enable the net-snmp agent
                2. reconfig the net-snmp agent to listen on a different port (1161 for example) and then run both in parallel.

I suggest option 2 as there are HP dependencies that may break if you disable the stock agent.

Chris,

I have a UNIX admin making these changes...What is needed to do option 2.  Can you provide the steps.

cgregors

This is one method:

1. edit /opt/netsnmp/share/snmp/snmpd.conf and comment out the line:
                      • #agentaddress 161
                    2. edit /sbin/init.d/snmpd and change the options string to the following:
                      • OPTIONS="-Lsd -Lf /dev/null -p /var/run/snmpd -a udp:1161"
                    3. restart snmpd with /sbin/init.d/snmpd restart

Option 2:

1. edit /opt/netsnmp/share/snmp/snmpd.conf and change the agentaddress line to:
                      • agentaddress 1161
                    2. restart snmpd with /sbin/init.d/snmpd restart

you should now be able to snmpwalk -v1 -ccommunity hostname:1161 and find the host resources.

Then edit the properties of the device in Orion and change the snmp port from 161 to 1161 and then list the resource.

Chris