This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Node Caption determination

Can someone tell me how Orion chooses to select the caption by either sysname or DNS name?  Is there a preference?  Does it update automatically?

• Node caption is populated in the following priority during the node add:

• sysName SNMP value returned (if SNMP responds)
    • Reverse DNS lookup
    • IP address

Node Caption DOES NOT get updated automatically any time after the node loading and must be manually edited.

• Node caption is populated in the following priority during the node add:

• sysName SNMP value returned (if SNMP responds)
    • Reverse DNS lookup
    • IP address

Node Caption DOES NOT get updated automatically any time after the node loading and must be manually edited.

Ok so that explains why I have some nodes that have a DNS name for their caption and not the sysname....they were changed to SNMP after they were originally added.  I have about 200 that have the DNS and not the sysname.

I will write a SQL query to replace caption with sysname if it is a SNMP device and they don't already match.  Thanks.

• I have the same issue and need node name consistency (specifically  nodes with out the Domain name)   - was there a resolution and did your sql script solve your problem ?

• I ended up writing a report to capture any discrepancies but decided not to automate the correction of the names.