This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Monitoring total traffic across interfaces

Hello,

I need to report on total traffic across across all router interfaces.  I have Netflow configured and running on all my routers.  I have gone to the pre-defined reports and can see that there is some good information there, but I need to be able to create a report in which I can define the start and end date. 

For example, I would like a report for total traffic on a router between 12:00 am on Monday morning through 11:59 PM on Sunday night, thereby being able to tell exactly how much traffic traversed the router in a weeks period of time.

How would I go about doing this?

Thanks,

John

• Ok.  Well.

I have been playing with this for a while. 

Here's what I've done.  I looked at the Serial Interface on one of my routers and wrote down the values for the total bytes input and the total bytes output.

15 minutes later I went back and wrote down the valuse as they were then.

I subtracted the starting values for each from the ending values for each, and added the resulting values together to get a total bytes transferred amount.  This value was approximately 19 MB.

However when I looked at the interface in NTA for the same 15 minute time period the value that was showing was 43.6 MB.

I'm a little unsure of the reason for the apparent discrepency.  Am I looking at apples and oranges here, or is there something I am not understanding?

Thanks.

• Check to make sure you have 64 bit counters enabled in your NPM monitoring config for that node. Having a 32-bit counter overrun will screw up your calculations completely.