This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Dude, where's my stat? (Disk I/O)

Not sure if this is even possible through snmp and maybe that is why we do not see it.  But I would love to be able to easily monitor Disk I/O.  That is one of the biggest bottlenecks on a server and without using some sort of manual poller we never see it.

• If you are talking Windows based systems, then this information is not natively available via SNMP.  However, if you install the free SNMP Informant Standard extensibility agent on your systems then you will be able to get disk I/O for your Windows systems.  We actually do this versus using WMI via APM.

I actually wrote a previous post on how to monitor Windows Disk I/O a while back and one of the methods gives the details on the method that uses SNMP Informant.  You can find that information HERE.

Hope this helps!

• The whole thought behind my idea is that is it canned and natively supported.

• I agree, that would be nice.  Unfortunately I think that is less of a SolarWinds problem and more of a Windows problem in that it doesn't natively provide that info via SNMP.

• No I disagree.  It's indeed a SolarWinds problem.

I have a need, Windows may have the limitation, SolarWinds has the ball in their court to fulfill my need if they choose to address it.

• How would you resonably expect SolarWinds to collect data that isn't available to collect?  I am curious to understand how you would expect they could solve this?

This is one of the reason a lot of products in this space are agent based, by having an agent you have more access to more data.

With SolarWinds being an agentless solution they are partically at the mercy of what other agents/API's provide.

In no way am I suggesting SolarWinds should conider moving to an agent, I am just pointint this out as one of the limitations to an agentless solution.

• "How would you resonably expect SolarWinds to collect data that isn't available to collect?"

I am just a customer with a need.  I do not expect anything other than SolarWinds will attempt to fill my need.

I am not a developer or programmer nor do I work for SolarWinds,  it is not my responsibility to know anything other than what I just posted.

If innovation stopped at posts from a single person on a public message board I am sure SolarWinds would be more like SolarBreeze.........

• What's wrong with pulling the disk stats from perfmon using APM? That's what I use.

• Well, I have to agree with Donald. I think SolarWinds should provide an agent as an optional solution for all operating systems. Agentless solutions for the unix like os doesn't give you much. Also nobody wants to give their passwords to me for the APM.