1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 21, 2011 10:57 AM by aLTeReGo

Features my organization is looking for in NPM...

aaronh

There are a few features in NPM that I constantly receive requests from the ~100 systems engineers I support who use Orion on a daily basis.

• Advanced alert configuration through the web UI.
      • SNMP trap alert configuration through the web UI.
      • The ability to configure custom pollers (UnDP) through the web UI.
      • Windows script support is...we'll say goofy.
      • Better native F5 support for monitoring VIP statistics.
      My SEs are fully capable of configuring their own advanced alerts/SNMP trap alerts, but I don't want them all RDP into the primary Orion poller to be able to do this, as it creates another host of problems. I don't want them to be able to restart the services, etc. 
      On the Windows Script support side of things, executing from the WScript context is an unusual implementation, and the supported languages is a bit sparse. We have a lot of Python and Ruby expertise in my org, but are unable to fully realize the benefits of it through scripts run from the Orion pollers. The requirement to use WScript elements in another language like Perl creates a barrier to entry for my teams who are Linux only (they really like the Linux script monitors since you can execute any language), and haven't used or don't use WScript or CScript. If I have installed the scripting engine on the NPM server(s), and can execute it from the command line successfully, I should be able to execute it from Orion. 
        • Re: Features my organization is looking for in NPM...
          aLTeReGo

On the Windows Script support side of things, executing from the WScript context is an unusual implementation, and the supported languages is a bit sparse. We have a lot of Python and Ruby expertise in my org, but are unable to fully realize the benefits of it through scripts run from the Orion pollers. The requirement to use WScript elements in another language like Perl creates a barrier to entry for my teams who are Linux only (they really like the Linux script monitors since you can execute any language), and haven't used or don't use WScript or CScript. If I have installed the scripting engine on the NPM server(s), and can execute it from the command line successfully, I should be able to execute it from Orion. 

Thanks for the feedback aaronh, we're currently tracking this APM feature request internally as FB82396.