This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ability to Filter LastXXEvents

We need the ability to add filters to the LastXXEvents view, specifically to omit or to include specific events.

• You can create a custom report that will do this now.

•   How?  Once this is created, we'd have to somehow include it in the View.  Wouldn't it be far simpler to have the ability to filter events from within the LastXXEvents component? That way you could search for specific events instead of having to edit reports on the server.

• I would definitely aggre with sol. That's also one of my requests too. But they simply don't care about my requests. I got no response almost any of my requests. Maybe they will see this and make it happen this time. Because it's really important for us too.

• How?  Once this is created, we'd have to somehow include it in the View.

Any custom report can be added into the view...simply choose the resource Report from Report Writer.  Create a report based on the particular events you are looking for and add it to the view.

Wouldn't it be far simpler to have the ability to filter events from within the LastXXEvents component? That way you could search for specific events instead of having to edit reports on the server.

I'm not dismissing this in any fashion....I completely agree that this would be easier and to be available in an ad hoc format would be ideal....i was simply saying that you could find a workaround to get close to what you are needing now.

The ability to customize Orion is both a gift and a curse IMHO.  With few exceptions I have been able to get what we need in almost any case...that being said however sometimes it is very complex to get something that is built into other monitoring platforms accomplished in Orion as it is a manual process.

• Have you tried using the filtering options in Message Center? It's not exactly the same as adding a filter on the LastXX resource, but it should allow you to quickly filter events for certain nodes, specific events, or string matches. It should also be quicker to use than creating a customer report (although I definitely appreciate mdriskell's creative work around).

I assume you want this so you can identify specific events you care about and when you go to a node detail, quickly see if any of those issues are present. Another way to do this is to change the flag on specific events so that the event does not show up in the log at all. You can do this by modifying the Record flag (1 means to show it, 0 means don't record it) for the specific event in the EventTypes table. You'll need to restart the NetPerfMon service after you change it for this to take effect.

Mav

• How about filter events by custom property? I have lots of ideas about the events filtering if you are interested. Please check out this threads as well. They are talking about the same thing. It is hard to dig deep in thwack.

/

• This is not currently possible. I've responded on those specific threads. 

You can use message center to search for all events. You can also limit your search by specifying an IP address (or IP Address pattern). For example, for all devices in the 10.199.1.0 /24 subnet, simply do a search on the IP Address field for 10.199.1.* This might help limit your query to the specific site, but is not as friendly as using existing groups or custom properties.

I've logged those requests.

Thanks!