1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 12, 2011 5:07 PM by mavturner

Monitoring QoS Policies with NTA

dsandy

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding monitoring QoS with NTA.

1.  To monitor Cisco Class Based QoS on a "regular" software-based Cisco router (eg. a Cisco 3845, 3925, etc.).  My goal is to simply monitor how much traffic is hitting each queue and being accepted, dropped, etc via *SNMP*.  So I still need to enable netflow on the router to do this?  Is there any documentation on how to do this?  I see the video from the red headed geek, but can't find any documentation (ie in writing) on how to do this or what the requirements are.  Why would I have to enable netflow to do this based on SNMP?  Basically I want the "show policy-map interface" output but in graph format.  I did find a document on how to troubleshoot Cisco CBQOS that says make sure no "nested qos policies are present"!  Does this mean you can't have a queueing policy (determines which packet goes next) feeding a shaping policy (determines when the packet goes next) and have NTA monitor it?

2.  How would I do the same thing with a Juniper router (either a J series router or SRX firewall).  I want to be able to monitor each queue.  Basically I want the "show interfaces queue" output but in graph format.

3.  How do I find documentation on this product?  I find lots of videos and brochures, and prompting to download a trial and try things out.  In fact, I already have the product.  But I find documentation lacking.  Can anyone explain to me where I find the documentation for this product?

Thanks!

• Re: Monitoring QoS Policies with NTA
          mavturner

dsandy,

1. You do not need Netflow configured on the router to poll for CBQoS information. However, the CBQoS polling features are only present in our NetFlow product. You can enable CBQoS collection by clicking Manage Sources on the Netflow tab, then click the check box for CBQoS for the relevant node.

2. We currently only support Cisco QoS. What you are asking for is exactly what this feature of the product was built to handle.

3. The easiest place to find all of our documentation is at this page: http://thwack.solarwinds.com/support

Mav