7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2014 1:02 PM by choly

NetFlow BGP Summary

john.betts

I just upgraded to NTA 3.8 and trying to get BGP flow to work right.  They appear to be working pretty well, but I did some additional research and found some Cisco documentation saying BGP next-hop support is not included in netflow version 5...but I am using it fine?

What I did was changed ip flow-export version 5 to ip flow-export version5 origin-as bgp-nexthop and started seeing the pretty graphs!

So I have a question, do we have to use version 9 in order to use the BGP functionality in NTA?  Or do I need to input any more commands?  Also, I see A LOT of traffic on -Reserved AS- (0), as my two BGP routers are directly plugged into my dmz, is there anyway to remove AS 0 from Top 5 AS?

Thanks!

• Re: NetFlow BGP Summary
          Andy McBride

We do not support next hop reporting on 3.8, so v5 will work the same as v9 for now. You can remove AS zero in NetFlow Settings > Manage Autonomous Systems.

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/3210/NTA+3.8+Autonomous+System+%28AS%29+Monitoring+Requirements

john.betts

OK so I can remove the bgp-nexthop part?  I have had ip flow-export version 5 on it before and wasn't getting anything, is it the origin-as that is required for this?  And is there any plans for future support of BGP next-hop?

I appreciate your quick response though!  Lastly, is there anyway to remove AS 0 from top AS graph?

Andy McBride

You can remove AS zero in NetFlow Settings > Manage Autonomous Systems.

john.betts

Thanks but that just removes the name, obviously my internal network will always be the top AS...anyway I can remoev it all together?  If not, this should be a feature of next version...most environments will run into this same problem.

Andy McBride

Hmmm. I though that removed that AS. I'll mark this for a PM to see.

choly

Hi John,

There is curently not possible to hide AS 0 from chart, but there is possible to workaround - go to BGP summary view> open Flow Navigator> expandAutonomous system filter> fill in 0 (for Reserved AS), switch to exclude > Submit

Now you have Reserved AS filtered out of the view > Open Flow navigator again > click Save filtered view to menu bar > Name it e.g. BGP - 0

(You can remove original BGP link from menubar using Orion settings > Customize menubar > NTA_menubar > ...)

Re: NetFlow BGP Summary

john.bettsLevel 1

Thanks for the workaround, please consider this a request for next version for a setting to remove your own AS number (0) from top AS graph.  This essentially makes Top 5 AS a Top 4 AS graph, as of course my own AS (0) will always have exactly 50% of the traffic.

CholyLevel 1

John, has the workaround worked for you? I guess it will not work, since it excludes all flows with AS 0 in source or destination field, so if you have 50% of 0, it will exclude all flows :-(

I will report it as future request for new version in our tracking system.

As for now the other solution is what you suggested already - set resource to show top 6, and ignore the first item - which I agree is a very naive solution...

john.bettsLevel 1

To be honest I did not even try, because I don't want to hack up my view that much...plus I was worried about it messing up the BGP conversations.  For ISP's who do not have a local network in use they would not run into this problem, but for any user with a local network and monitoring this on their border routers will run into the same problem.  Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

Is it possible to add a feature that would replace ASN 0 with your ASN? During setup or a database option, to allow the user to enter there AS number? This would only work for people with one ASN but at lease the explanation of the conversation is easier to explain to others.

CholyLevel 1

dclark: NetFlow Settings > Manage Autonomous systems > Edit the first one (-Reserved AS- with id 0) > Change name and other details to anything you want

jorlando

Is there any update for this in NTA 4.0?  I'm experiencing this issue as well and I was wondering if it was because I use the following:

ip flow-export version 9 origin-as