1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 14, 2011 2:18 PM by mavturner

Can't edit system info or custom fields when selecting multiple available IP addresses?

cisconethead

When I select multiple IP addresses to edit the properties, I get this message:

You can't edit available IPs with other types of IPs.

You have selected [95] available and [5] managed IP addresses.

When I chose the option to only edit the managed IP addresses, I can edit custom properties, like custom fields along with system information.  If I chose the option to only edit the available IP addresses, there isn't any option to edit those custom fields or system information.  If I selct just one available IP address I can edit all the custom and system information, so I'm not sure why a mass edit wouldn't be possible.

Back story: I'm trying to populate a custom field called Subnet_Location info for every IP address so that when my end users search for an IP address it will display the location information properly.

What is the best way to do that?  I was hoping to mass edit the IP addresses in each subnet.  I've got about 500 /23 or /24 subnets in use in the 10.x.x.x supernet. 

• Re: Can't edit system info or custom fields when selecting multiple available IP addresses?
          mavturner

Although the option for filling out the custom field is present when you edit a single address, if you try to do this for an address with available status, you'll get an error. If an address is available, you cannot track any information about it (otherwise we would consider it used from a licensing perspective). We have considered adding an option to create custom properties that are independent of the status, but this is not possible today.

I assume setting the subnet location at the subnet level is not an option? Where are your users seeing the IP that they wouldn't see the subnet?