This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Rounding Off

I currently have an alert for HDD space, i would like to round this off to 2 decimal places:

So currently i have:

***WARNING*** Volume ${SQL:Select Substring('${Caption}',1,3) AS Caption} on ${NodeName} is almost full and has ${SQL:Select ${VolumeSpaceAvailable}/ 1024 / 1024 / 1024} GB remaining

Thank you. 

• [edit: I just realised that this only does a drive letter substring, not available disk space. I've always found this to be perfectly fine for my uses though - it always looks aesthetically okay.]

I use this as the subject of disk space alert emails:

*** WARNING: ${NodeName} ${SQL:Select Substring ('${Caption}',1,2)  AS Caption} Free Space ${VolumeSpaceAvailable} [min=${Minimum_Free_MB}MB]

I have Minimum_Free_MB as a custom property to specify a mimimum amount of free space for specific volumes, and have two alerts - one is a custom SQL alert to do the bytes-to-MB comparison when the Minimum_Free_MB field is not empty. The other alert just checks that the Minimum_Free_MB field is blank and triggers if there's less than 5GB free.

• Thank you for your reply.

Im new to NPN and SQL so finding it rather tough, Is there no way to just add something like a =round somewhere to round it off?

also 

'${Caption}',1,2)

What does the ,1,2 signify ?

Thank you

• try searching google or something for
    mssql round transact-sql

and select the one from msdn.microsoft.com

• Try this:

***WARNING*** Volume ${SQL:Select Substring('${Caption}',1,3) AS Caption} on ${NodeName} is almost full and has ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSpaceAvailable / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB

HTH

Stuart

• my bad, you actually want decimal.  check here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187746.aspx

decimal[p,s] - the s is what you need to = 2

• As a bonus extra, heres what I use for the alert mail:

Alert: ${FullName} is ${SQL:Select Round ('${VolumePercentUsed}',0) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} Percent Utilized

Volume Size        ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSize / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB
    Currently Used     ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSpaceUsed / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB
    Currently Available     ${SQL:Select round((VolumeSpaceAvailable / 1024 / 1024 / 1024),1) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} GB

Additional Information:

Server Name - ${Node.SysName}
    IP Address - ${Node.IP_Address}
    Server Location - ${Node.Location}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Current Status:

${Node.SysName} is ${Node.Status}

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dell Open Manage Page:  HTTPS://${Node.IP_Address}:1311
    Orion:  xxxxxxxx/.../nodedetails.aspx

• Thank you all for your help.

Stuart, your script works perfectly, thank you.

Thank you as well for providing the additional infomation however, when i get the alert i get the following

-----------------------------------------------------------

Alert: LDNCTXTS03-C:\ Label: 34f0b008 is MACRO SQL ERROR - Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '41.20775'.
    Incorrect syntax near '41.20775'.',0) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='@{171'} Percent Utilized

Volume Size MACRO SQL ERROR - Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '171'.
    Incorrect syntax near '171'.' GB
    Currently Used MACRO SQL ERROR - Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '171'.
    Currently Available MACRO SQL ERROR - Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '171'.

Additional Information:

Server Name - LDNCTXTS03
    IP Address - ***********
    Server Location -

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Current Status:

LDNCTXTS03 is Up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dell Open Manage Page: *********
    Orion: ********

• Strange, that was copy/pasted straight from my alert.  You Should get this:

Alert: Server-E:\ 5429c65f is 81 Percent Utilized

Volume Size 930.5 GB
    Currently Used 751.4 GB
    Currently Available 179.1 GB

Additional Information:

Server Name - Server
    IP Address - xxxx
    Server Location - xxxx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Current Status:

Server is Up

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dell Open Manage Page:xxxxx
    Orion: xxxx
  • Weird,

This line works when in the subject but not in the body

Alert: ${FullName} is ${SQL:Select Round ('${VolumePercentUsed}',0) from Volumes WHERE VolumeID='${VolumeID}'} Percent Utilized

• is that code just pasted in the body of your email alerts? do you have to add anything so that when it emails the alert it recognises the SQL queries?

Thank you