12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2011 8:14 AM by VáclavSáblík

Orion NPM beta 3: Cannot group by "Location"

tdvojmoc

Orion web site, view "Orion Summary Home", webpart "All Nodes". Grouping by "Location" doesn't work. All are grouped under "[Unknown]". Devices have set corresponding snmp location.

• Re: Orion NPM beta 3: Cannot group by "Location"
          ET

Hi,

"Unknown" means that there's not Location filled in database (it's empty). Can you check node detail page of one your node whether there's correct Location?

If it's empty try to invoke RediscoveryNow to re-poll it.

thanks

ET;

tdvojmoc

For all nodes (mainly Cisco routers and switches ) the Node details is empty for DNS, Description, Location, Contact, Last Boot, and Operating System. IOS Image is displayed as "Unknown". The values for IP Address, Machine Type, and System Name are correct.

Rediscovery (together with Poll now and refresh) didn't help.

Also all interface statuses are unknown. They are displayed correctly only when I list resources or during thenode adding procedure.

ET

hmm that's weird, can you please check whether we are polling? I mean NextPoll and NextRediscovery is accurate on node detail page.

if it's possible, can you please collect diagnostic and upload it to leapfile?

Thanks

tdvojmoc

It doesn't seem the polling works. Orion Service Manager shows everything as running or started.

It seems the time stopped when the particular node was added to the NPM. Also the time of last database update looks weird.

Diagnostics files were uploaded.

ET

I got diagnostic and created a case 79639 for that.

thank you very much

tdvojmoc

NPM server reboot helped. 

ET

I was looking into your diagnostic and it's weird. I can see that there are errors about failure WMI polling, but you have no WMI nodes and they wasn't there.

How you installed this Beta3? Any unusual steps? Like use machine where was previous Beta installed? Use database from previous beta, ....

thanks ahead

tdvojmoc

I have separate NPM and DB server for beta. NPM is virtual and there was beta2 installed. I reverted to the snapshot without beta2 and installed beta3. The database is on physical server. I installed beta2 to SQL 2005, then migrated to SQL 2008 (detach, attach) and it worked fine with beta2. After installation of beta3  I've first tried to reuse the database from beta2, but found some inconsistencies. At last I've started Configuration Wizard (without reinstalling beta3) and created new database on SQL 2008 and populate it with nodes through couple of network discoveries from scratch. Nodes together with all active interfaces were imported successfully, their statuses were updated, but the polling didn't work. 

After the reboot of NPM server the polling has started, but I still have a lot of interfaces in unknown state.

ET

thank you, I will try this your test case, but beta2beta is not supported workflow.

If it's working now and your interfaces are still unknown, please attach fresh diagnostic so we can have a look (Mark it please with tag 79639)

thanks a lot for help

tdvojmoc

Not all nodes experience the interfaces in unknown state. List resources always display correct states. I have to re-add interfaces through list resources and delete old interfaces in unknown state (they are not replaced).

Another interesting observation: I was adding the nodes with subnet discovery jobs. I specified subnets as e. g. 10.12.0.0 with mask 255.255.255.0 and the discovery would add also a node with IP 10.12.0.0 (which is not a host address). The status of such node was down.

I've uploaded the diagnostics.

ET

thank you,

issue with unknown interfaces was fixed after Beta 3 and your diagnostic proved that.

We are working on this discovery.

VáclavSáblík

Hello Tomaz,

I've been looking on diagnostics you uploaded and you are right, subnet edged are not recognized even you entered them manually. When you send a request (ICMP or SNMP) on broadcast address (like 10.12.0.0 in your case) it could return from anywhere within the subnet. In case of SNMP we are not able to distinguish source IP address which is different than requests target address. I've added internal case for handling subnet edges that where manually entered.

Nodes are down because all were discovered as just SNMP capable and status is evaluated from ICMP response, but those nodes should not be discovered at all.

Thanks for noticing,