5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2011 7:52 AM by ahthomas

Migration Question

ahthomas

We're migrating our Orion instance to a brand new install. How do I migrate ALL of my maps to the new database/instance? Re-doing all of them would take forever, and I'm not using the old database, since I don't want to bring over the old issues with that database.

• Re: Migration Question
          pacetti

ahthomas,

This SolarWinds KB article should be helpful: "Moving Older Map Maker Maps" (http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/2676/).

HTH,

ahthomas

I do not have this path on the server: Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Map Maker

pacetti

Warning: Simply moving the maps over, as indicated below, will not ensure that the icons in your maps will be correlated to any monitored objects in your new environment. There is really no way to maintain functionality without migrating your entire db.

If you do not have that path, then you have not ever had Map Maker installed. This being the case, all your maps are in your Orion database, in the MapStudioFiles table.

I know you said you didn't want to use the same db. Create a new db on your SQL Server, use it for your migrated installation, and then copy your old maps from the MapStudioFiles table in the old db to the MapStudioFiles table in your new db, as directed in this post.

HTH,

njoylif

Pacetti is right.  when you drag an object (or associate it) with a map icon, that correlation is mapped to the specific node or interface, etc.. in the existing database.  so if you moved the maps only, all of the objects mappings would map to non-existent devices (as the nodes and interfaces tables were not moved over.

Maybe you could run a test and migrate those two tables as well (depending on your current issues), and see if that works for you.

Realistically, I don't think, nor have ever heard there is an option to do this (also assuming you are 9.x or higher as that is when they moved maps into DB).