11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 1:19 PM by smartd

IPAM Scheduled scan

anniet

I would like to have control on the IPAM scan schedule.  Is there any way to tell IPAM when to start the scanning.  I've already change the scan frenquency to 24 hours instead of the default 4 hours but now I wish to start the scan when the network in not to busy.

Is there any way to do this?

• Re: IPAM Scheduled scan
          njoylif

seconded.  I have many networks that I'm only looking at to make sure we didn't miss something, so I'll scan weekly.  I'd love to be able to tell it fire on sat or the like.

mavturner

Good feedback. I've logged the request. 

In the meantime, this information may be helpful for you until we can implement a more detailed scheduling option.

Everytime you edit a subnet, the scan job is re-scheduled. The current job is removed and a new job is created. So if you want to have something scanned every evening, just edit the subnet at that time (for example: 10pm) and make sure the scan time is set for 24 hours. This should do what you need. Remember, every time you edit the subnet, this will get reset.

I realize this is not ideal, but hopefully the work around is good enough for now.

Is this important for anyone else?

Mav

rao000

Yes - we have thousands of subnets that we will only want to scan once a week or so during a small window at night.  And we will break it up over multiple nights so as to balance the load.

I really don't want to have to come in at 2 AM several nights in a row to edit the subnets just because that is the only way to set a scan time.

anniet

Thanks for your respond.  We will be looking forward to the scheduling option.  As others have mentionned, we also have just to many subnets to manage one by one.

It would also be a good feature if we had the option of selecting many subnets to set the scan interval.  For some subnets, I would like a weekly scan, for others, I would scan daily...

Spudnet

Mav,

What I'd like to see is the ability to scan only specific subnets without having to turn scanning on globally. With thousands of subnets, it's not practical to turn on scanning globally and then turn off scanning on each individual subnet.

Mike

mavturner

Spudnet, does the bulk edit option not work for you because of the large number of subnets?

Spudnet

Pretty much yes. I'd have to go page after page, 200 at a time, then on to the next subnet...It makes more sense to set a default and then be able to turn scanning on individually, without having to change the setting for thousands of subnets to off before turning on scanning globally to just to scan a few subnets. I can't just turn scanning on and hope the default of OFF was correctly applied to each subnet.

Thanks,

Mike

jpuskarich

Ohh yes.  Being able to schedule a scan based on day/time/frequency etc is being asked about right now internally.  It would be ideal if this could be done for ICMP and neighbor scanning (SNMP).

Subnet a.b.c.d - scans M T W T F at 11pm via ICMP.
                            Subnet e.f.g.h - scans Every Day, once every 30 minutes, via SNMP.

Being able to select days of the week and specific times of the day to (not just every 30 minutes) would be very nice too.

J

memnoch25

Any news on if and when this option might be available?  We also would like the ability to choose when and how often IPAM scans.

Thank You!

smartd

+1

Also, schedule peer scan to avoid overlap.