17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2011 1:01 PM by DaveStraley

NPM 10.2 Beta Add Node/Discovery not working

DaveStraley

After getting 10.2 on our test server neither discovery or adding a node works on our test server.  When adding a single node the SNMP string tests fine but as soon as it gets to the resources screen it stays on the "wait..." screen and never progresses.  I tried to do a discovery of a known good IP address and the window is stuck on "Starting Discovery" and does not progress further.  I have tried refreshing the services and rebooting both the Application server and the DB server.  

• Re: NPM 10.2 Beta Add Node/Discovery not working
          Karlo.Zatylny

Hi,

Could you upload diagnostics for us to look at?  

Have you started up wireshark to see if we are sending out ICMP and SNMP packets?  This would help us narrow down if the issue is prior to sending out the requests or after.

Thanks

DaveStraley

Do you have an FTP address where I can drop the Diag. file?

Karlo.Zatylny

put up instructions here for the time of the beta:

Leapfile Instructions 

Leapfile instructions:

1. Navigate to http://solarwinds.leapfile.com
                  2. Select the Secure Upload option
                  3. Enter support@solarwinds.netasthe recipient email address
                  4. Fill out the form and provide some information about your issue in thesubject line.
                  5. Select the Select Files To Send (Regular Upload) option
                  6. Browse to the compressed capture file
                  7. Select the Upload & Send button

DaveStraley

File has been sent.  Let me know if you need anything further.

Karlo.Zatylny

Thanks, we will.

Already grabbed the diags and logged case 78296 internally.

VáclavSáblík

Hello Dave,
                              I've found old discovery logs (probably from version 10.1.3 or less) in diagnostics you've provided. The question is if you have performed an upgrade from previous versions of NPM to beta or a fresh installation.

Beta support for upgrades is not guarantied and there might be problems. In your case it seems discovery itself completed successfully (results are logged) but one of Orion services, that is among other responsible for discovery results delivering, logged cryptography exceptions probably pointing out badly configured certificate for requested operation.

So, please clarify if the installation was an update, I will figure out what would be the next steps for fixing the issue in the meanwhile.

Thanks,

DaveStraley

It was an update from 10.1.3.  I had tried to do a fresh install with just this beta release but once installed it said I had 0 nodes available to me so when I tried to import any device it said I was exceeding my license node limit.  I then started fresh with 10.1.3 and then upgraded to the beta release, and now I have the proper license, but I cant add any more nodes.

VáclavSáblík

Dave,
                                      It’s starting to be complicated a little. It seems like you installation is in inconsistent state which is causing problem for job engine service. Unfortunately, several things could go wrong and determining the root cause would mean try one by one which would be quite time consuming.

Ideally, beta would go on fresh machine where no other evaluation version of Orion was installed before. In your case I assume there was either evaluation or licensed version of Orion installed before and this makes beta version (which is evaluation as well) think license for eval is expired because is referring on previous eval or other version installation time stamp. In other words, evaluation version is not able to exist stand-alone on this particular machine.

So, logical step, you did, is to install on the top of licensed version. I noticed you had among NPM also APM and NTA modules installed. Installation of those modules might also cause some integration problems. The best solution that would I hope save some time would be one of following scenarios. All those also include configuring to fresh new DB catalogue as well.

1)     Install beta on another machine where no Orion was deployed before.

2)     Clean this machine and install minimal version or Orion (Licensed NPM 10.1.3 and Beta 3 on the top). Cleanup would mean uninstall basically all SolarWinds programs and features.

3)     Try to execute installation repair on all SolarWinds products.

If no one of those does fit, help or you have a problem with installation I can contact you directly and proceed to further investigation.

Regards,

DaveStraley

I installed on a fresh windows server 2008 image and everything seems to be running fine.  Thanks again for your help.

DaveStraley

Everything is working quite well.  I have run a series of test discoveries on different nodes and network layouts.  Over all the speed of the system seems to be quite improved from 10.1.  Everything just feels snappier.  

One question I do have is the port mapping and the "connect now" in network atlas.  Has that been removed from this build?  I have done discoveries, both manual and automatic and I am not getting the link information that I was getting in 10.1.  When I do a full discovery of one of our networks with 26 interconnected switches and put them into a new Atlas page I get 0 links with connect now.  Is this a known issue?

Karlo.Zatylny

Hi Dave,

The topology data is no longer specifically gathered during discovery.  Instead, we have new pollers that gather topology data on your node's rediscovery interval and the system topology is then calculated each 30 minutes.  To see if you gathering topology data, look at your NodeL2Connections table.  

SELECT DISTINCT NodeID FROM NodeL2Connections -- tells you which nodes are giving you layer 2 topology data and thereby connections

Running a list resources on a node will show you either 

Layer 3 Topology -- we are gathering ARP table information from this device

Layer 2 Topology -- we are gathering Bridge MIB information from this device

The Layer 2 Topology pollers are the key poller for determining the connection edges.  The Layer 3 data simply helps identify which IP addresses (nodes) belong to which MAC address.

To update your topology information, select your nodes with Topology pollers in Node Management and click rediscover from the Actions drop down menu.  Wait a little time for the polling to complete then click Update Topology from the same menu.  The new methodology helps keeps discoveries quicker and updates topology more frequently and lighter weight without having scheduled discoveries to depend on.

Let me know if you're still not see topology data or you are not seeing any topology pollers assigned to nodes you would expect.

Thanks