I'd advise a to load it to 45/55 and then review.
Check the Polls Per Second Monitoring tool: don't have these set too high. Slightly higher than recommended settings here is fine. Setting these settings too high will cause problems with polling.
On the SQL side, have you seen the documentation on this.
* Please also see the PDF below, "Managing Orion Performance"
- A short discussion of Orion and SQL
- Measuring and monitoring SQL
- Optimizing SQL for the Orion environment
- RAID choices RAMDisk, SSD, drive types, memory management
- Orion server performance
- Additional resources
* We have a recent NPM Level 3 on demand webcast that may be of interest:
"Both new and current Orion NPM users can learn something new in this on-demand customer training session. Topics include: tuning parameters and procedures for Orion’s website, Orion’s SQL database backend, and Orion’s data collection services."
NPM Level 3 on demand webcast: