This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

ESX v4.1

Our server team is upgrading to ESX v4.1.  So far, all that is visible on the ESX hosts are the interface tables (there's no host disk information).  Is the Virtualization Manager component necessary to properly monitor this version of ESX? 

We've tried monitoring via Virtual Centre as well but we still cannot get anything other than rudimentary ESX host information.  Guest information registers without issue.

• I assume you mean with Orion you are doing this correct?  Are you just monitoring with SNMP or are you also specifying the VMWare API credential information?

• Sorry, I should have confirmed, we're running NPM v10.1.2, APM v4.0, with an ESX credential (that at one point was given admin to see if it was a permissions issue). 

Monitoring ESX 3.5 worked, then there was an upgrade to v4.0 and so started our problems.  We now have one single ESX v4.0 server that we can see all resources on, but it's scheduled to be rebuilt to v4.1 right away.  No other ESX hosts in the environment show anything beyond an interface table (whether monitoring via a vCentre server or the ESX hosts themselves).

• I contacted support to see if there was something we could do about not properly reading the ESX host information.  They said ESX v4.0 and higher no longer displays any disk information in SNMP and this is why we can't see it.  I just tried to pursue this since we do have it working on one ESX v4.0 server.  Shall likely remain a mystery.

• Hmm, I think we had (have?) the same issue, but I don't have access to the console right now. 

I believe it was due to one host having been monitored via SNMP before we moved to the API and the vSphere method.  Does that perhaps mirror why your one host shows disk details?