5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2011 2:27 PM by dclick

UDT Port Exclusion

dustin.lee

I have been unable to find a way to exclude ports during UDT port discovery. To be more specific, I would like to include Active and Inactive but exclude Trunk and Vlan ports. Is there a way to do this I am missing or does it fall into the below categories?

Add or remove monitored Port

Discovered Ports

V/R,

Dustin

• Re: UDT Port Exclusion
          mavturner

Unfortunately this is not possible today. Those are good work arounds you referenced. We would like to make this better. Can you provide a little more detail? When you say you want to exclude "VLAN ports", do you mean you want to exclude ports configured for a specific VLAN?

dclick

I am not wanting to hijack the thread, but I would like to be able to selectivly show trunk ports vs access ports. Since most of my network is trunked, alot of reports will show the same mac or ip on not only the end point switch, but all switches back to the core. 

In some cases, we may have 5 swtiches trunked up, and I see the same IP on each switch's trunk port AND access port.

I can also see a case when we may not want to have UDT monitoring a Trunk port at all.

Does that help?

ctopaloglu

I am not wanting to hijack the thread, but I would like to be able to selectivly show trunk ports vs access ports. Since most of my network is trunked, alot of reports will show the same mac or ip on not only the end point switch, but all switches back to the core. 

In some cases, we may have 5 swtiches trunked up, and I see the same IP on each switch's trunk port AND access port.

I can also see a case when we may not want to have UDT monitoring a Trunk port at all.

Does that help?

I like the idea. And +1 for this!

mavturner

When y'all say that you don't want to see the endpoint show up on the trunk, do you mean in search, WatchList, on the Port Details resource or anywhere at all? The reason I ask is because there are times when you will only know that a device is active on your network because it is plugged in to the trunk port. For example, say you are monitoring a switch (and its trunk port) but you aren't monitoring the switch connect to that port. Would you still want to know that the device is on your network, even if we couldn't tell you the exact port it's connected to?

This is why we introduced the concept of In-direct connection. To better differentiate whether an endpoint is directly connected or not.

As always, I really appreciate both of your great feedback.

Mav

dclick

Personally, I think it should be optional everywhere.  I dont use the Watchlist functions yet, so I cant say how that portion works. 

For my environment, I would want to know if a switch was plugged into a "access port" instead of a "trunk port". However, I can see that this could be difficult to define.  I would think that if we had the option to disable the trunk ports, I would see a switch connected to a port that was configured as a access port, and cause me to look closer. 

Does that help?