This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Email alerts possible with gmail as outgoing server?

Using Engr Toolset V10, and setting up an email alert in Network Monitor, it asks for server address under SMTP GATEWAY, without any fields for minor details like POP or IMAP, port, protocol, password.

So, is this toolset not usable with say Gmail as the email server, which would require all these things? 

• I assume when you say "Network Monitor" it is the "Network Performance Monitor" you refer to?

If so, I think you may be on a slightly older version as I've just checked mine and I can enter a username and password by ticking on a box labelled "This SMTP server requires Authentication" as in the screenshot below. I also see "SMTP Server" instead of "SMTP GATEWAY". I am on version 10.7 June 2011.

I'm not sure why you want to enter POP, IMAP, port and protocol... You are only sending an email, hence SMTP is all that is required. POP and IMAP are used for receiving email and so not relevant in this situation. The port number to use is a standard field when you enter your SMTP server name.

• Thank you, you nailed it.   I appreciate the quick reply.   In version 10.0 of Solarwinds Network Monitor tool, the setting is missing and tab is titled differently.

Matt

• Under Network Performance Monitor, I can get your clip and add the port.   Not tested that yet, but will. 

Using "C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Engineer's Toolset\Network-Monitor.exe" v10.0, I do not have that option to set port.   Do you have that port option in your version in Network Monitor (separate program, maybe uses ping vs snmp??)? 

• I'm sure I had no icon for "Network Monitor" when I looked earlier!

That program in my version is also lacking a port option.

However, that software looks like it is a lot older than NPM. I wonder if it is still being developed, or if it just there for legacy use now. Perhaps michalB can confirm.

Personally, I'd seriously consider moving to NPM since it's a much more feature-filled application (from what I've seen).

• yes, I would definitely recommend using Network Performance Monitor instead.

• Ok.   The display in Network Monitor is nice, fwiw.   

Using NPM, and trying 465 and 587 for ports, since GMail requires either TLS or SSL, I get 

The transport failed to connect to the server.

I tried retyping the p/w a few times just be sure, but results have been consistent.  Either I am doing something wrong or NPM can't use gmail either.  

So, is NPM using SSL or TLS, or is trying to use other ports?   If other ports, then I presume it simply can not use Gmail - correct?  

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13287

• Unfortunately, I have to confirm that SSL and TLS are currently not supported. I have submitted this as a feature request. As a work around, you can use some kind of free SMTP proxy you will run on your machine (or anywhere in your network) and that will forward your messages to Google SMTP server.