This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

how to monitor total cluster resources (not host only)

Maybe I am missing something, so I'll ask.  I like the new monitoring for VMWare (although I'd like to see XenServer as well), but how do I pull up a graph that shows the total %/used for the CLUSTER as a whole, instead of the host?

To clarify - it would be nice to see a graph with total cluster memory/CPU used by all resources, or alternatively, report/graph on this per resource pool.

Thanks

• If you have Orion connected to your vCenter server you should be able to see the Cluster level utilization.  Go to the Virtualization tab, in your VMWare Assets resource expand out your vCenter server, then expand out the Datacenter and under that you should see the clusters as defined in your vCenter server, click on the cluster and you will be presented with a cluster level dashboard.

Hope this helps!

• Thanks, that did give me essentially the data I was looking for, but at first glance I thought the multi-colored (VM) graphs that are displayed when you view host would be there, but the default display is different.  Is there a way to change that so it looks similar to the host graphs? 

Thanks for your help!

• As a quick off the cuff answer, I don't think you can change those graphs to be the stacked graphs you are referring to.  They are different types of data and therefore they need to be visualized in different ways.  At the Cluster level you are looking at data about the cluster versus looking at Host level data.  The Cluster data isn't going to break things out by guest systems, it's going to show utilizations at the cluster level.

Depending on what your actual needs are regarding the data you need displayed, one option may be to create a custom dashboard that has some of the different data-points that you need.

• Byron,

Thanks for your help.   I dont' see why they couldn't show stacked graphs for all VMs in a cluster or resource pool (ie. total allocated resource and the VMs working within these boundaries), but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Thanks for your posts!