This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Switch Port Mapper - issues with newest 10.7 ver

FormerMember
FormerMember

Has anyone else noticed that the "Last Status Change" field seems to have gone whacko in 10.7?  The classic mapper in 10.6 would always spit back the last reboot date of the switch on all ports that have been completely dead with no activity.  This made it very obvious which ports I could pull patches out of.  Now with the new style mapper I get the current date and time on all ports that have never had activity.  I can still figure out which ones are my true free ports by looking for down ports with the current time as last status change, but this confusing.  This is happening on 3560/3750 switches with various IOS's.

One other anomaly: the "Make Global Default" button under settings doesn't stick when I relaunch the standalone mapper.  I have to redo the columns I want displayed every time I launch the mapper.  If I run workspace studio and then mapper within that (which takes longer to launch, don't like it), the settings are remembered.

• Hello,

thank you for pointing this out. We have submitted an internal ticket about the "Make Global Default" button.

As for the "Last Status Change", the classic tool shows Last Reboot Time as the Last Status Change value for the ports that do not have any activity. With the new Switch Port Mapper, there are columns named "Last Receive Time" and "Last Send Time".

The classic Switch Port Mapper you know from 10.6 is still included with 10.7. You can find the executable in the installation directory named as deprecated_switchportmapper.exe. However, as it does not contain any latest fixes, I would not recommend to use it (additionaly, it is not supported).

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to michalB

Thanks, glad to see the old mapper is still included.  Can't say I understand why the current mapper would be programmed to show today's date under the last status change field.  Last switch reboot makes much more sense.  I've never found the last send and last receive fields to be accurate so I always rely on last status change.

• I want to echo iee1284's point about the 'Last status change' field. We also use this to identify unused ports and a with 10.7 returning the current date it makes it impossible to figure out which ports are truly inactive. Can anyone provide more information on what has changed or if this will be fixed?

• That is scheduled to be addressed in the current release we are working on. The plan is to make that field work the same as it did in the Classic SPM.

--HTH

Steve