This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report on DNS PTR records- want to enforce both forward and reverse entries

Hi-

We have a problem at my company with people not assigning a PTR record when they assign the forward A record in DNS. Windows DNS does this automatically, but somehow people tend to mess it up.

Can IPAM report on A records that don't have a corresponding PTR record, or one that it wrong?

Thanks

• yes it can but it doesn't come with a precanned report for it. I wrote several custom reports that do this very thing. I then email it out nightly to our engineering teams so they can correct the hosts.

• Unfortunately IPAM does not gather any detailed DNS information (other than hostname) so as adeimel said, this would be a manual process that you would have to set up and just store the information in the IPAM database.

• Have you tried the DNS Audit Tool in the Engineers Toolset?

You can use it to audit forward (A) and reverse (PTR) Records?

www.solarwinds.com/.../DNSAudit.aspx

• ChrisTaylor

Here is what I'm running. This report finds all ip records without a PTR record in the 10.10.x.x and 10.11.x.x ranges and ignores any in my ilo ranges (baby steps getting them to fix the hosts first) of 10.20.20.0/24 and 10.20.21.0/24. I include the mac address in the final report to give them a second piece of information to confirm the ip to box relationship with. I do not run SNMP on our windows hosts that have PTR issues but if I did I would also include the SNMP name in the report.

so Just update to reflect the ranges you want and the ranges you want to ignore and you should be off to the races.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Drew

SELECT 

IPAM_GroupReportView.FriendlyName AS Display_Name, IPAM_NodeReportView.VendorIcon AS Vendor_Icon, IPAM_NodeReportView.IPAddress AS IPv4_Address, IPAM_NodeReportView.IPAddressN AS IPv4_Sort_Key, IPAM_NodeReportView.DnsBackward AS Reverse_DNS, IPAM_NodeReportView.sysName AS System_Name, IPAM_NodeReportView.MAC AS MAC

FROM 

IPAM_GroupReportView INNER JOIN IPAM_NodeReportView ON (IPAM_GroupReportView.GroupId = IPAM_NodeReportView.SubnetId)

WHERE  

(

(IPAM_NodeReportView.IPStatus = 'Used') AND 

(IPAM_NodeReportView.DnsBackward = '') AND 

(

(IPAM_NodeReportView.IPAddress LIKE '%10.10%') OR 

(IPAM_NodeReportView.IPAddress LIKE '%10.11%')) AND 

(IPAM_GroupReportView.FriendlyName <> '10.20.20.0/24') AND 

(IPAM_GroupReportView.FriendlyName <> '10.20.21.0/24')

)

ORDER BY 1 ASC, 4 ASC