This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

No Polling Job for some of my switches

Hi All,
I'm seeing some weirdness with the polling - several of my switches just arn't discovering MAC addresses at all.  When I check the UDT Status I can't see any polling jobs (neither Polling or Layer3).  I couldn't seem to find any way to remove and re-add the device to see if it created the polling job - I tried unmanage/remanage on the device and also tried unmonitoring the ports and remonitoring - no luck.
The switches concerned are all Cisco 6509E with sup32 running IOS or 6513 running CatOS/IOS hybrid.  I do have other switches which are basically identical which are working correctly (and are running the same os versions/hw).
Any ideas on how I can get this fixed?  I dont want to delete the device entirely since that remvoes the NPM object and I'd lose all my data on them.

Also - does anyone know how the "hostname" field gets populated?  When I look at port history I only ever have MAC and IP listed (although a search will find the hostname).
Thanks, Sean

• Sean, we have a service release RC available (1.0.1) that I will send to you offline that should help with some of these issues. In the service release you can delete nodes just from UDT and some of the polling issues were fixed as well. 

Which port history resource are you talking about specificaly? Does it look like it's not being matched up to the IP/MAC? We resolve hostname by standard windows name resolution on the server.

Mav

• Thanks for that Mav, got it installed now and things are looking better.  I also noticed that I hadn't installed the Poller version on my poller either and I suspect that's why some switches didn't have pollers - doh.

I still don't see DNS names resolving though under Port History - I *can* search using the DNS name and it finds the port - but when I look at the port details - under history theres no hostname listed - just MAC and IP.  I do see though that on the same switch - if I look at the Port Details for the entire switch it DOES show DNS names.  Seems the lack of the DNS name showing in Port History maybe related to why I can't use the watch list with a DNS name (MAC/IP works ok).

I also note that the UDT Port Details isn't linked in any way to the actual port I'm monitoring in NPM (while the actual node is) - I'd like to be able to add the Port Details and History to the NPM monitored interface (so I can see everything in one place) but I can't see anyway to do it - is there method I'm missing?

Thanks, Sean 

• Sean, for your last request (like a UDT port to an NPM interface), this is something that didn't quite make it for v1 but we are planning on getting done soon and there isn't really a good work around for that today.

Dev is looking in to your other issues and should respond with more information.

• Hi Sean,
    I've just been testing this on my SR1.0.1 system and it appears to be working fine.
    I’m seeing Hostname in Search results;  Port Details List resource (on Node Details page); Port History resource (Port Details view) and also in the Watch List resource (Summary page).

Can I just verify that you have clicked the 'Show All' button on the bottom of each of the WatchList and Port History resources in order to display more than just the first 5 records?
    If this isn’t the problem, then there is something strange going on with your system which we will need to look into.
    Could you therefore raise a support ticket please so we can get some diagnostics from you.

Thanks

Steve

• Hi Steve
    I'm able to find the hostname fine in the Port Details List resource (on Node Details page) - however when I click on the actual port - it doesnt show.  I've seen similar inconsistencies between the port view and node view on all my devices - in fact I notice even the Solarwinds main demo page for UDT shows similar issues so I dont think it's just me.

If you check http://tracking.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/UDT/Summary.aspx the main demo page - and click on the first item in the Watchlist - 

cflores10.199.5.34syd_cflores.bis.local69:6A:0A:3F:BE:BESyd-2621.aus.labFa0/1  

You'll go to the search results - and this clearly shows hostname/mac/ip/switchport etc - click on the "Fa0/1" switchport to see the port details -
      http://tracking.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/UDT/PortDetails.aspx?NetObject=UP:373
    and then you'll notice the hostname doesn't appear anywhere...

Another issue I've seen is also showing up on your demo system - 
    Check out -  http://tracking.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/NetPerfMon/NodeDetails.aspx?NetObject=N:418

Notice that every port lists MAC but NO IP addresses or hostnames are displayed - but hover over any of the ports and most have an IP registered - and if you click on the port you can see the IPs listed - 

eg http://tracking.demo.solarwinds.com/Orion/UDT/PortDetails.aspx?NetObject=UP:207
    I've also seen this on a few on my devices but not all - it's inconsistent.

One more thing I've just seen is that on my CatOS devices the port details in general just look plain wrong - I'm seeing MACs appearing on switchports that are disabled and ports that are enabled and connected but not showing any MACs at all - is there some compatibility issue with CatOS?

Hope this helps you narrow down the issues
    Thanks, Sean

• Hi Sean,

Looks like the displaying of Hostnames in the Port History resource does indeed have a problem.  Thanks for pointing this out to us.

With regards to the 2nd issue, if you haven't already done so, can you raise a support ticket for this as we'll need to get some diagnostics from you.

Thanks,

Steve