This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

HP jetdirect discards

hello all,

I have just set up NPM and have noticed the 8 or so HP Jetdirect cards and showing excessive discards  (in the billions). I have checked the network settings and everything is correct (gateway, mask, etc.).. I noticed it says interface type: loopback.. anyone ever see this with the Jet Directs.. One of the printers is a Color Laserjet 3700 with over 8 billion discards

• I would recommend to open a support ticket with us to look into this issue deeper.

• llevis--

When you open a support ticket, would you:

--Reference this thread to Support.
    --Post back here with a case number.
    --Post any solutions you get from Support.

Many thx,

M

• It is probably because of a duplex mismatch, those types of devices are known for that.  Often times they will only connect at 10 half duplex and with that many discards I would imagine yours have.

• I have the 30 day trial version running.. won't have it purchased until july 26th, so I'm not sure i can put in a support ticket

• llevis--

I'll have someone from sales contact you--they handle these issues during the trial period.

Thanks,

M

• I get this too.   Was there any resolution?     I have about 400+ jet direct.   Jet direct reports discards.    switch reports no errors.

• Orion reports the numbers found when it queries the SNMP agent on a device. Discarded traffic, whether it is intentional or not, is recorded by the following MIBS: ifInDiscard, ifOutDiscard, ifInErrors, ifOutErrors. Since these MIBs are Counters that Increment, our application will take an Initial poll and record this number in the Service which is not stored into the Database, then on the Next poll it will take the delta between the newest poll minus the last poll and record the information into the InterfaceErrors_Detail Table.

For the Errors and Discards This Hour and Today, the Orion Services will store this information in its Services and Report a running total, this information will be stored into the Interfaces Table. If you restart the Orion Services the Errors and Discards This Hour and Today will be reset since this information is no longer in the Service.

If you do not wish to monitor Errors and Discard, go into Manage Nodes, select the Node and select List Resources. Under Each Interface you can uncheck Interface Error Statistics, or you can go under the Top XX Errors & Discards, select Edit and enter in Vendor <> 'Cisco'

Orion is designed to report all data for Networking teams to see at a glance all Network related issues at a glance to help see and know what device or where in the network that that there are potential issues.

You will need to contact your Device’s Vendor to understand what the discards are, since Vendors represent Discarded Packets differently.