This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Auto Addition and removal of resources of a node

Just thought to post this but I have been thinking it for some time.

There are a few parts to it so I will just list it out.

-Have NPM Auto Add/Remove drives on a server.

This would be mostly a server thing for me but I could see the same with interfaces on network devices but that is somewhat rare but could be helpful.  We have about a thousand servers and of course thousands of drives which often time go away or come online as needs require.  Managing the active ones is a manual time consuming process that is never done.  So I will often get complaints about seeing drives that no longer exist or that new ones are not being monitored.

-Have NPM auto monitor and display only active interfaces

This one is mostly for network devices.  I monitor many large chassis switches with hundreds of ports each.  Because you never know which might be in use or not I monitor them all active or otherwise.  This spams up views with ports that are down and do not need to be seen or even monitored.  So it would be great to add all ports but just see by default ones that are only up and not have SolarWinds wasting CPU cycles monitoring down interfaces.

I guess this would have to lead to auto discovery of resources every so often just like bandwidth is done.  That would I think be monstrously helpful.

• -Have NPM auto monitor and display only active interfaces

This one is mostly for network devices.  I monitor many large chassis switches with hundreds of ports each.  Because you never know which might be in use or not I monitor them all active or otherwise.  This spams up views with ports that are down and do not need to be seen or even monitored.  So it would be great to add all ports but just see by default ones that are only up and not have SolarWinds wasting CPU cycles monitoring down interfaces.

NPM can monitor interfaces as unplugged so that they won't show as down. Will this not suffice for your situation?

• No it would not especially since that is a manual process that I would have to put on thousands of ports.  I am talking about the function being automated.

And I think unplugged just stops the repoting of up/down mainly.

Which I still want very badly for whole nodes.

• Fair enough. My concern, if SolarWinds is to implement this, would be how NPM would distinguish between a hard drive that no longer needs to be monitored and one that is actually down. Obviously, this concern would extend to the interfaces as well.