This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What's the default URL for the NPM web server

Hi, We just installed the trial version of NPM 10.1.3.   I'm assuming that our NOC techs would be able to pull up a browser on any workstation attached to the same LAN as the NPM server and access it.  What's the URL?

Thanks

• Normally it's just the FQDN of the server where you installed Orion followed by /Orion/

e.g. http://npm.example.net/Orion/

• That's close to what I was looking for.  It turns out the default installation (at least in my case) uses port 8787.  So the URL to access NPM from a workstation browser is:

http://server-ip-address:8787/orion

If I were to make a recommendation, it would be to include some language to that effect in the NPM Admin Guide.

• turbo79--

I will let the NPM writer know. Thank you for your feedback.

M

• turbo79,

Let me know if and how steps 11 and 12 of the section "Completing the Orion Configuration Wizard" in the SolarWinds Orion NPM Administrator Guide do not address your concern:

1. If you need to specify a particular IP Address for the Orion NPM Web Console, provide the IP address of the host web server.
      Note: SolarWinds recommends the default All Unassigned unless your environment requires a specific IP address for your Orion Web Console.
    2. Specify both the Port through which you want to access the web console and the Website Root Directory into which you want to install web console files.
      Note: If you specify any port other than 80, you must include that port in the URL used to access the web console. For example, if you specify an IP address of 192.168.0.3 and port 8080, the URL used to access the web console is http://192.168.0.3:8080.

Thanks,

•  

>If you need to specify a particular IP Address for the Orion NPM Web Console

When I installed it, I didn't want to specify ip address or port numbers. I just pressed next (i.e. default configuration). I assumed, based on the documentation in the Admin Guide, that it would use port 80. It turns out (from what I can tell) the default configuration uses port 8787.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to set the default configuration to use port 8787, you might want to mention that somewhere in the documentation.

• Th Default Port used for Orion NPM is Port 80 (for NCM it is 8888). If the Port is in use by another Website in IIS, it will notify you that the Port is in use via popup. 

Did you have another Website in IIS, or another application using Port 80?

• >Did you have another Website in IIS, or another application using Port 80?

Negative.  Fresh install of Windows Server 2003. The only app installed to date is Orion NPM. 

• I had to confirm with development that you probably installed Orion NPM initially in simple Eval mode, where the installer does a lot of the heavy lifting, options-wise, including the setup of a SQL Express database, for you. Under this mode, the website is set up on port 8787. Had you gone through the entire Config Wizard, you would have had the opportunity to restore the more typical port 80 configuration.