7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2011 10:51 AM by byrona

Executive Level Reporting?

ahthomas

Well, out of the box, the email reports look horrendous for executive level folks. The PDF's are just a scrunched up screenshot of the web page (With the "Export to PDF link there as well,) and the text version is just that, a text version. No graphs, images, nothing. Is there any way to make these reports look more presentable?

• Re: Executive Level Reporting?
          Melanie.ODonovan

Hi,

Here is an Orion Team Blog that shows how to get charts into your reports.

Hey Chart, get in my Report! (Part 1)
          Hey Chart, get in my Report! (Part 2)

ahthomas

I tried that, but the reports still look awful. Printable reports obviously don't work when doing graphs, and all this software seems to do is take a screenshot of the webpage and dump it in a PDF. I don't want the webpage, I want graphs and other things that are presentable to executives.

byrona

I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement when it comes to Orion and Reports.  I am about 99% certain that this is on the list of things that SolarWinds plans to improve.

In the mean time, what specific type of report are you looking to create that you are unable to do now?

ahthomas

Let's hope that this is on the list of things to improve! It needs it.

As far as the specifics, I'm trying to do a monthly charted availability report. All I want are charts and percents. I don't want the whole webpage in screenshot form, it just looks atrocious.

byrona

Well, I realize you don't want the webpage; unfortunately that is the only way Orion will capture and send reports via email.

So, to try and make the best of the situation, here are a few options to try...

Option 1

Configure a dashboard (view) with the specific data you want and just have your Executives log into Orion and access it as needed, they could even print it if they want.

Option 2

Configure a dashboard with the specific data you want.  Then, when setting it up in the Report Scheduler, when it asks for the URL, give it the URL for the page that has the data you want but add the following at the end of the URL minus the quotes...  "&Printable=true"  This should send the webpage but use the printable version so it looks less like a webpage.  Note:  I haven't tried this so not sure if it will work.