1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 8:31 AM by Melanie.ODonovan

Orion NPM vs. IPMonitor

Dave_D

Hi, all.

I'm a longtime user of ipMonitor but our maintenance contract has us on Orion NPM.  [?!?!]

Perusing NPM's docs for the first time, it's a bit intimidating for my modest 24-node server farm.  More importantly, I can't find anywhere that it supports:

• service monitoring
      • automatic service recovery
      • remote service management

These are the critical functions of ipMonitor that I use daily.  Does NPM not offer this?

If not, I have no choice but to stick with ipMonitor and figure out just what happened with our maintenance contract.  Weird.  [But it's probably my fault.  It usually is.]

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

• Re: Orion NPM vs. IPMonitor
          Melanie.ODonovan

Hi Dave_D,

If there is a problem with your maintenance contract can you please contact customer services. You can find all the contact information here.
          http://www.solarwinds.com/company/contact.aspx

With regards to your question about service monitoring and remote service management you are correct. NPM does not do this, however one of the NPM modules - called Application Performance Monitor does. This is an extra module that you need to purchase however so if your installation is very small you probably need to stick with ipMonitor.