This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting Emgine

Hi,

I've recently detected a problem on my alerting engine, all my Orion Server Services are up and running, but the alerts are not been delivered.

i test one of my alerts to see the log, and it shows me an error of sending the mail throught smtp,

then i restart the alerting engine serivice and the alerts starts working again.

what can i do to solve this problem, any ideas?

regards

HHQ

• Hi to complete the information:

this is the error i get:

EXCEPTION STACK: --> The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x800ccc14. The server response was not available
     :  :    at Interop.cdosys.MessageClass.Send()

Regards

HHQ

• Hi hhernandez-

Have you ben able to fix your issue with the dropped SMTP email?  I am getting the same thing and Orion support has not been able to find the trouble.  Please post back if you have been able to resolve your trouble.  Thanks in advance.

bfreking

• I changed the “Alerting Engine Service” from LOCAL SYSTEM on my Orion server to a username and password to that of a Local Admin.  It fixed my SMTP Email problem, no more dropped SMTP emails.

• So the problem is a permissions issue with the Alerting Engine. Make sure you Use "Run as Administrator" for installations.

• I'm having the same issue and have resolved the issue using bfreking's suggestion - thanks btw.

The question I have for Solar Winds is why are these events being  recorded as "Informational" events in the SolarWinds.Net event log?

Given the importance of the AlertingEngine - what's the point in buying Orion if you can't get alerts -  and the fact that the event description states that it's an Error, it does seem pretty poor that they are recorded as "Informational" events.

• I also ran in to the same problem and changed the logon to use a user account. I wonder why LOCAL SYSTEM account could be a problem, when it was running fine without any issues for more than a year. It would be nice if Solarwinds can explain the reason behind this behavior.