This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to get alerted when drive disappears

Anyone know what criteria I can use to send myself a txt msg or email when a drive disappears, a NIC disappears, etc? I do see the error below at the time one of our drives disappeared:

Server1-G- Volume no longer exists. Data collection suspended.

Just don't know how to alert based on that. Or the other types like Volume added, volume removed, etc.

Lastly, can someone explain how to have Orion detect new volumes that appear and alert me? Admins often add USB drives, etc and I need to know when and have Orion start collecting basic stats on it. 

Thanks!

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

For the alerting, you're best bet is to alert on status of the items.  Most likely you'll want to watch for when the element status goes to unknown.

For the new volumes, you're best bet is to set up a scheduled discovery.  With that you'll see new devices, interfaces, and volumes on your network.  If you don't want to see a certain device in the results, you can mark it as ignored, and it will stop showing up in your discovery results list.

• Does the discovery alert us somehow or just start showing up? I need to be alerted (txt and/or email) when a new node or volume or interface.

• We have two types of Alerts available.Basic Alerts by its name is self explanatory,which are limited and can be viewed in the System manager application .By default the Basic Alerts will show up on the GUI under Active alerts window.However the Basic alerts could be edited to have an email or play a sound or other actions from the available list under the "Actions" tab.

Just in case,if there is nothing which you find in the basic alert according to your requirement.You could go for Advance alerts,which could be configured from the Advanced alert manager application.This alert will open up the options and you could use your own custom SQL query too.

Chapter 9 explains about configuring Basic Alerts.Click OrionNPMAdministratorGuide.pdf to view them.

Click UnderstandingOrionAdvancedAlerts.pdf to know in detail about Advance Alerts.