This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Config change emails

Morning!

I am using NCM to do a nightly download of the running configs and a weekly download of the startup configs of my Cisco switches. Every download session results in my getting an email of the success/failure and changes between the new running config and the last startup config. I ignore most of these emails since most changes do get written to the startup config, but because I only download that once a week there are sometimes false change alerts.

However, on the night where both downloads are done (the startup being done before the running) I look through the email to see what changes are outstanding. This is quite a tiresome process as the report shows the entire config side by side (without any obvious header of which config is which!) and a text character to show which lines have altered. The problem is that sometimes I have 1 line that has changed out of 500+. This makes spotting the change difficult (I like to check to see what changes people have been making!)

Would it be possible to have an extra option to only show the changed lines, and perhaps the 5 lines either side to give some context. It would also be useful to have a link given that will show the comparrison of the 2 configs side by side in the web interface. The colour-coding on the web interface makes it a little easier to spot the changes.

The email I get from the job is just the plain text version, and all the changes are in a single email. I prefer this method so that my inbox doesn't get clogged up with change alerts!

• Hi Nrms,

Good set of use cases and enhancement request (72226).

Reading this paragraph, both options seem redundant. Which one is your favorite? The email body changed to show only changes or email contains a link to the WEB page that has the color coding for changes?

Would it be possible to have an extra option to only show the changed lines, and perhaps the 5 lines either side to give some context. It would also be useful to have a link given that will show the comparrison of the 2 configs side by side in the web interface. The colour-coding on the web interface makes it a little easier to spot the changes.

• Hi Francois,

My reason for suggesting both was that the email gives me a quick overview of the change, but the link in the email would take me to the whole config should I need to view that.

But I guess of the 2, the email showing just the change in context should be sufficient.

• I only want to know which nodes failed during the configuration backup process. Instead I get both (success/failure) nodes in the email. And I have 1000+ nodes :)

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to ctopaloglu

I have got the same problem as ctopaloglu. I manage around 800 devices and it is very hard for me to spot what devices have changed. At the moment, this email only discourages me to read it! :P