2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2011 2:17 PM by mivy00

Network Atlas Transparent Background

mivy00

Is it possible to create a map with a transparent background?

I would like to place some nodes on a background (US MAP) then delete the background so that the nodes are hanging on a transparent background.  We have a seprate program that runs some LCD wallboards I would like to put a moving weather map behind the nodes.  I know this cant currently be done in network atlas, but I might be able to work around it if I can set a transparent background.

• Re: Network Atlas Transparent Background
          bshopp

We can do the weather map stuff, you can specify a dynamic background.  See Using a weather map as your background for your maps

• Re: Network Atlas Transparent Background
              mivy00

Yeah I am aware of that.   After alot of rigging I was finally able to do what I wanted to do.  The end goal was to display the weather map on a 1920x1080 LCD screen at the corporate headqurters.   The problem is that there is no weather map online that is remotely that size.  Solarwinds does not provide an adequate way to resize the image.  Because if I use the original which was 3400x1700 and place the nodes on the map.  Then I import the map into solarwinds and use solarwinds to scale the map the the nodes are also scaled down and the map becomes unreadable.

For others looking for a solution to this problem.  What I had to do was download two softwares (wget, imagemagick)  and write a batch script that uses wget to dnload the image, then image magick to resize the image and save it locally to the solarwinds server.  I scheduled the batch job to run every 15 minutes to save on bandwidth.  Then I wrote a one line webpage that just had the image file and hosted it through the IIS.  I then went into solarwinds and pointed it at the new web image, and now I have a properly sized image to work with.

It would be nice to have an enhancement request aginst the network atlas to allow for at the very least size constraint on the image before it is imported to add nodes.   I have seen other people mention but it is worth mentioning again it would also be nice to be able to use animated gif's as a background.  this could be done if the nodes were saved as a transparent gif with only the nodes being visable and the backgound anamatied gif being placed below that.