44 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2015 10:14 AM by kwameb87

Who wants better IPAM importing?

mavturner

Do you want importing to be better in IPAM? Specifically, do you want to maintain your hierarchy with Groups and Supernets? This is the place to tell us more about it. I am happy to talk directly with anyone offline about this as well.

The best posts included details information about what you want and why. The better we understand what you are trying to do, the better we can make this process.

For those of you who are willing to provide example spreadsheets, that is the best way for us to understand exactly what you are trying to do. If you would like to share, then let me know and I will contact you directly offline to get this.

Thanks!

• Re: Who wants better IPAM importing?
          bleearg13

Yes, better importing of subnets.  As I've already mentioned in a previous post, we are trying to migrate from our current in-house developed IP manager.  I have lots of information assigned to *subnets* (not individual IPs) that needs to accompany the subnets upon import into IPAM.

The problem is, IPAM does not support importing subnets and custom properties for subnets - it is all based only upon individual IP addresses.  I recall reading in a post somewhere that I can import my data into IP Address Manager and then export it, but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

I can do a gotomeeting if you want to see our homegrown solution and better understand what it is I am talking about.

bleearg13

I have also seen requests for IPAM to have the ability to attach to a router and grab its route information by SNMP.  This is a good idea, but there needs to be some sort of filtering mechanism so that you can prevent the importing of routes you don't want.  For instance, our core routers have over 350,000 routes in them - I probably only need about 2000 of those routes.  Being able to filter based upon subnet during this process would be ideal.

mavturner

bleearg13,

I assume what you saw was a reference of importing to the IPAM tool, then exporting from that and importing to Orion IPAM. This is mainly for customers who are using the free tool or the tool in the Toolset and are migrating to Orion IPAM. However, for other customers, this is a way to get more data into IPAM. Obviously, this is not ideal which is why we are spending time on fixing importing directly into Orion IPAM.

Thanks for the offer of a GoTo, I will contact you offline about this.

Automatic discovery of subnets from routers is interesting, but we will probably not get to it on the release we are currently working on. We are focusing on the users who already have large spreadsheets or homegrown systems and want to transfer that data into IPAM. When we do add this, your filtering request is a great suggestion.

Great feedback! Anyone else?

Mav

Spudnet

Mav,

If you'd like to see our spreadsheet-based manager, I'd be happy to set up a web meeting. We track simple detail: Network, Mask, CIDR, Description, Owner's Group, Owner's Sub-group . It seems a shame that I can't import this information. We have over 2,000 subnets in 3 public networks and the private address space.

Mike

jawill8301

Hi Mav,

I have a spreadsheet or two that I can share as well.  We document; SiteID's, Project, Physcial Location, WAN Circuit Type, IP Address and Subnet Mask.

-Jason

familyofcrowes

We have been using the toolset IPAM.  We have 1200 subnets in there.  I only care about the subnet and its description.  How do I get those to import?  Bulk leaves out the description and the import is for individual devices.....  Am I missing something???

I can't ask my night people to add 1200 descriptions.... 

Any suggestions....  Easier way would be extremely helpful!

mavturner

There is not a good way to do this today, that is why this thread exists, to solicit feedback and make sure we cover as many people's requirements as possible so we can make it better in the upcoming release. Based on some preliminary conversations, most people simply want fields to be updated with the subnet and to include the subnet mask so that the subnets are added with structure.

Any additional feedback is much appreciated! 

Daniel.Chambers

As a service provider, we only really care about allocating information to IP Subnets, not individual IP addresses. We have a spreadsheet with the subnet information, however we would lose all the attached information to the Subnet as we have to just paste them into the Import Box. 

Could there be a way that we manage IP Subnets, instead of IP Addresses. Allocating custom properties to them. 

If you want to discuss more, let me know and I will be able to discuss requirements. 

nbjeter3

I would like to see the adding of DHCP Servers a little easier. Instead of using a radio button, Multiple checkmarks would make it a lot less repetitive and a lot quicker for adding multiple dhcp servers/scopes.

DSchratwieser

I have been trying to suggest the inclusion of SuperScope monitoring for a few months now. I have several SuperScopes in a large office but continually see the individual /24s at or near capacity. When I look at the MS DHCP server this is obviously not the case. Is this functionality under considieration?

Regards

mavturner

DSchratwieser,

Are you saying that IPAM is reporting full used subnets when that is not true? Also, when you say SuperScope, do you mean you want to pull that information from MS DHCP or that you want to create a Super Scope in IPAM and only see utilization of that SuperScope?

Mav

DSchratwieser

Mav,

The SuperScopes are part of a large range of blocks bought in using the discovery process when the first Windows DHCP server was added. DHCP sees the blocks as members of the respective SuperScope but IPAM appears to see them as individual /24s. Case in point, the following are four blocks for the office in question 3rd floor:

In the images above we see the DHCP server recognizing the four subnets as members in a SuperScope with (Per IPAM) available space. Does IPAM recognize SuperScopes or can we get this feature added?

Kind Regards,

David Schratwieser
                                    Network Engineer
                                    Allscripts

Orion NPM v10.1.3 SLX
                                    Orion IPAM v2.0.1 IPX
                                    Orion IPSLAMgr v3.5.1 SLA50
                                    Orion NCM v6.1 DL1000
                                    Orion NTA v3.7 SLX

rao000

I would like the ability to import into multiple groups.  I have multiple network definitions that may apply to any of the thousands of subnets

As an example:

Let's say I have two customers (CustA and CustB) and three network types (NETA, NETB and NETC).  And I have the followign distributions:

CUST A has subnets in NETA and other subnets in NETB

CUSTB has subnets in NETB and NETC

When I create groups in Orion/IPAM, I would like a group of subnets for CustA, a grouping of subnets for CUSTB, and one for each network Type.  I have needs to be able to consider the addresses used in each network type as well as drill down to see how each customer is using the addresses assigned to them.

Currently, a subnet can only belong to one group (at least as far as I can tell).

Put more simply, I would like to have the capacity to import a subnet into multiple display groups in the tool

bleearg13

rao000,

I think this would be solved quite easily by the earlier suggestion of dynamic groups.  Rather than create static groups, the group would be based solely on the data within a custom property, or anything in the database for that matter.  You could have static groups defined for NET-A, NET-B, and NET-C, but then create dynamic groups based upon the value of the "Customer-ID" custom property.  For an example of this, take a look at ipMonitor Smart Groups or Orion NPMs dynamic queries in the Groups and Dependencies configuration area.

mavturner

rao000

You can enable duplicate subnets (Settings -> IPAM Settings -> System Settings -> Check 'Enable Duplicate Subnet'). This will allow you to create the same subnet for different groups. You will only be able to scan from the main server so you won't get status updates, but you can still manage the addresses.

Mav

rao000

just to be clear - if I add a subnet to multiple groups, and I scan, then the results of a scan are only shown in the group from which I scanned?

Daniel.Chambers

I would imagine that if you add the same group to two different groups, then when you scan there would be 1 set of data, with 2 groups accessing it. So any changes would be seen by both parties. 

If you want them to be discrete from each other then you would need to enable the support for Duplicate Subnets as someone described above, and then monitor the addresses separately. The issue would be, if it is One subnet, you would have potentially two sets of different data about it - which would be correct? (Also, it would take up double the amount of licenses!) 

- if i am understanding correctly. 

rao000

sort of - but IPAM is working differently.  it appears that adding duplicate subnets creates more than one database record for that element.

I have two groups - the target subnet is already in group A

If I do not allow duplicate subnets, then I cannot add the subnet to group B

if I allow the duplicate, I can add the subnet to group B, but the information in group B is not the same as group A.

I go to group B and do a scan, the information is not propagated from the scan results to the group A information

Looks like I will have to do some custom fields/queries.  unfortunate...

stevengj1

I can provide you a sample spreadsheet, what I want to import into IPAM for the subnet is quite simple. The product we are using I have to manipulate to get want I want and it is not that bad to reformat. For importing the subnet with the bulk add works fine after I export the subnet from our existing software, but I need to get a description in and VLAN  number. We have over 1000 subnets that would be a lot of typing that could be avoided. Just send me an email stevenson-gary@aramark.com. On the bulk add if I could just have 10.10.10.0/24 Server Subnet. Then it would parse it and put 10.10.10.10 / 24 as the subnet and Server Subnet as the description. Ideally I think you should be able to import to any of the fields and custom fields if you need to. But for now just a description would be great.

goff

Hello!

I need to import 3 fields from '.xls file'  to  'IPAM 2.0.1':

• network/CIDR
                                                • Description
                                                • VLAN 

There are about 1500 strings.

How can i do it now automaticly?

What variants there are avaliable?

dhenggeler

I'd like to see a fat bulk loading client that can transfer data successfully between the Orion database and an external Access database, both import and export.

I have seen this done successfully on other niche products, where the Access database contains an externally expressed form of the content of internal database tables or entities.  The user of the fat client creates an Access database with said client, exports data into the Access database, manipulates the data in the Access database through their favorite means (Excel, manual entry far faster than anything http, database operations, or even VBA code), then re-imports that data using the fat client. 

Given that the Orion SDK exists and supports CRUD-style operations for other parts of the Orion platform (just not IPAM, shucks!), it seems that it should be possible to develop something that would support not just import and export on IPAM, but also be extensible to any part of the Orion database via the SDK where CRUD-style operations are supported.

In this context, groups and supernets would be handled by populating a table parallel to the Orion SDK's IPAM.GroupNode entity in the external Access database, then running the fat client to perform the import.  In this case, they would have to pay attention to the self-referential property of that particular table, but at least the fat client would validate that when the import was done.

I can provide a more detailed use case of how that would work, but I'm afraid of just how long that posting would be.

thoughts.

DSchratwieser

Mav,

I had submitted an enhancement months ago for Superscopes rather than Supernets. As I reported at the time I see Netblocks showing critical when the Superscope itself clearly has well over 50% free address space. MS DHCP allows the building of Superscopes IPAM does not allow the monitoring as a single block of addresses when the two or more phsyical scopes are disjoined.

Regards,

David

IS Analyst

Allscripts

michal.hrncirik

dhenggeler:

- thanks for a technical point of view. I'd like to ask you what is the reason to import/export data between MS Access and IPAM. Would it be just becasue you need to transfer settings from your existion IP addres management solution to SW IPAM or are we talking about permanent sync between two solutions?

David:

we are tracking this request internally (FB61724). For those who would like to see the support for superscopes in IPAM - please vote for adding.

thanks,

Michal

dhenggeler

My personal reason is so that bulk updates can be made to the database safely, not just for IPAM but for other parts of the database as well.  IPAM is an immediate concern, certainly (and I'm experiencing some frustration with that presently), and that could certainly be accomplished through your existing model (.csv or spreadsheet).  However, I have two primary preferences for a local database platform being the mode of import (MS Access just happens to be de facto here in terms of common use by users):

(1) Importing through a database table ensures that the data is marshalled better going in, in my opinion.  No mistakes involving row shifts, type mismatches, and the like.  In the case where a fat bulk loading tool would be used beyond just IPAM, this would be a better model than relying purely on grids.

(2) It captures a range of capability from people using the product:

• People who want to do data entry to populate can do so more efficiently than through any http-based interface.  Where large amounts of data entry are required (say, to update custom inventory data, or to add a known list of hosts to NPM/NCM or address objects to IPAM), users can use a local, fast interface they are slightly more accustomed to to perform bulk entry tasks.  Performance issues with http-based interfaces can potentially be offset or at least collected to a moment that the user can wait through.
                                                            • People who want to use Excel (but aren't database people) can perform transforms they understand using a spreadsheet, then move it to an Access table with a copy/paste operation immediately prior to import. 
                                                            • People who know how to work databases (but aren't programmers otherwise) can do even larger transforms on data in a medium where that makes sense (using standard SQL or Access user interfaces as opposed to SWQL . . . not that SWQL is bad by any means, but I'm only talking about leveraging what people already know).
                                                            • People who have been writing data-oriented code (say, in VBA) but don't want to get into the vagaries of a new API ('cause they're not paid to be programmers, like myself, but use programming to conserve effort in their existing jobs) can perform non-database operations on their data.
                                                          twgraham

OK - I manged to import our IP address design into IPAM. Unfortunately none of the subnets are populated with IP addresses so the system won't scan to go out and see what is out there (actually it is scanning - one subnet has been under scan for 135 minutes! ... but that's another story). Anyway since there are no IP addresses in the the subnets (and I'm talking about the better part of a /16) how to I load the individual addresses in to each subnet?  Do I have to create a dummy spreadsheet with 65K addresses in it and import that?

kwameb87

I recently started using IPAM & was sorely disappointed when after importing subnets i realized that none of them were populated with IP address.  I later found out that there was a Solarwinds tool that would add the IP addresses to the existing subnets.  My question is why is this tool not integrated with IPAM in the first place? If i had not checked on Thwack I would have thought IPAM was a waste of time & money.

For anyone facing this issue please reference this link: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-176479#comment-209895