12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 1:55 PM by asikhwal

Custom Properties for Groups?

chrkov

Are there any plans to add custom properties for groups?  I would be really nice to only have to enter information once on the group instead of on every device as we do now.

Thanks!

• Re: Custom Properties for Groups?
          bshopp

Do you truly want them at the group or at the node.  If you were at a node details page or in a report would you want to see this value only at a group or at a node.  

I guess what I am getting at is if it were easier to make changes to custom properties in bulk or define template for nodes that auto populate custom properties, would this solve the problem you are having.  Are you trying to use groups to solve another problem in the product?

chrkov

Actually, it would be nice to see it at both.

Here is the scenario.  As a service provider, we monitor all our device including those located at customer sites.  Customers have the option of being notified by us when we see an issue on any device.  Right now, we have custom properties on every node with contact name, number and hours so we can include this information in alerts and also easy access.  But we have some customers which change this information alot.  So then we have to update every devices information.  If its one or two devices, no big deal, but if there are a dozen devices, its just a pita.  My thoughts was that since I am grouping all the devices together by acct number, if I had custom properties for the group, I could have just one entry to change no matter how many devices are in that group. 

If you have a better way to accomplish this, I am all ears.  The bulk option could work.  I dont know if the template idea would really work in my situation.

What would really be nice, is to have group level custom properties and then have the option for members of that group to inherit those properties.

chrkov

So can this be added as a feature request or something?

bshopp

It is something we have filed into our system

netlogix

I don't know if this would work for you, but it you had a custom field called Account#, and the others you mentioned, you could go to Manage Nodes, Change group by to Account#, select that customers account number in the left column, check the tip-top box in the right column (should select all nodes), then click edit properties; from there you should be able to check box the contact fields and update all the node in one stroke.

Although I do agree a single point to enter custom properties and have them inherit would be good, this is just till that happens you could lower your work load.

Marek

Is there any progress / update on being able to add custom properties to Groups? (similar to Nodes, Interfaces, & Volumes)

Like a number of other users, we are finding a variety of situations that we could really benefit from having this ability at the Group object level.

• One example to convey is this:  We have multiple departments within IT that are responsible for different devices (I'll focus on Nodes at the moment) and we only want to send Alerts to the responsible department for that device (such as "Node Down"); so there is a Custom Property that indicates which department a Node belongs to and part of the trigger conditions of that department's Alert is that the particular Custom Property matches it - Simple enough.  While this means there is a separate alert for "Device Down" on a per department basis, it works to our advantage by allowing each department to customize the content (Alert Actions, etc.) as they desire.

Obviously, per the example above, having a similar Custom Property for Groups would grant that flexibility there as well.  And of course, it would be nice to have as a built-in feature versus modifying the actual SQL backend.

Please advise - Thank you.

wifig0d

I, too, am dying to have this ability. Currently, we have our Groups divided into physical IDF locations. For each Group Details page, I would like to load the associated Sharepoint documentation page of that IDF (contains notes, pictures, spreadsheets, diagrams, etc). Currently, I have all groups showing the base site and you have to dial down to the IDF from there, which is clunky.

qle

My thoughts was that since I am grouping all the devices together by acct number, if I had custom properties for the group, I could have just one entry to change no matter how many devices are in that group.

If you have a better way to accomplish this, I am all ears.  The bulk option could work.  I dont know if the template idea would really work in my situation.

I believe that you should be able to sort the list of nodes by account number. Copy the new information, highlight the custom property of all the nodes you're looking to update and then paste. It should bulk paste the new information into all of the highlighted cells.

It might not be exactly what're you looking for but it should ease the pain.

asikhwal

Is any progress in this ?

We need custom properties both at node level and at group level.

asikhwal

I created  feature request for this. If anyone else also looking for such feature . Please vote.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/2839