17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 5:44 PM by qle

Summary of a report

jenninjc

Hello all,

How do I make a summary of a report that I created and graph it? I was trying to use Custom Summary to display it there but it don't have the report that I created in the resources.

Thanks,

• Re: Summary of a report
          Chrystal Taylor

To get a graph of your report, you will need to export to Excel and create the graph there.  What do you mean by summary?  Are you trying to get an average over x amount of time?

jenninjc

Thanks, the report I created I would like to have it in a summary, so like if I made a 7 day of last 250 events.

qle

Can you provide further details of the the report you would like or provide an example of what you'd like to see in this report?

jenninjc

On the home tab I have a custom summary report and it has a summary of the events of the last x days. If I created a report how do I get that report summarized like that one?

jenninjc

This is the summary on the left and I would like to get the report on the right like that. Also where is this in Orion the summary on the right?

jenninjc--

It looks like your graphic did not come through.  Can you reattach it? In case you don't know how, click the Options tab at the top of your post. Then click Add/Update and attach the file.

Thx,

M

jenninjc

I tried to add as an attachment but getting error if this doesn't come through I'll try again later. I would like to get the report on the right as a summary like the one on the left so I can try to make a graph or chart. Where would the report on the left be in Orion it wasn't in the reports folder like the others?

Hi Jenninjc--

It didn't come through--can you try again. Also, what is the error message you are getting?

M

qle

I would like to get the report on the right as a summary like the one on the left so I can try to make a graph or chart. Where would the report on the left be in Orion it wasn't in the reports folder like the others?

Alright, to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, you're looking for a report that lists the number of times a specific node was down over the last 7 days like the following?

NodeIDNode# of down events
                                      6MPLS_NorthDade_4904

jenninjc

Yes. Then I would like to make a graph or chart of those nodes.

qle

Then you want to modify the All Down Events report.

1. Remove the Event Time and Message fields
                                              2. Change Event Type Icon to Event Type and set function to COUNT

Now it's just a matter of cleaning up the report a little like changing the column title for COUNT_of_Event_Type and deciding which column to sort on. Hopefully, this is enough information to point you in the right direction.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                  jenninjc

That works thanks. Do you know where the reports are for the summary I don't see them on the report writer? The one I would like to find is the report on the left of the pic I sent.

Thanks,

J

qle

I don't believe there is a corresponding report for the Events Summary resource. However, you can create one by creating a new report based on Event Log.

1. Add the following three fields to the report: Event Type Icon, Event Type, Event Type Name
                                                      2. Set the function for field Event Type Icon to MAX and for field Event Type to COUNT
                                                      3. Set the sort order for field Event Type to descending

It's now just a matter of cleaning up the report by renaming the column headers and adjusting the time frame to your preference.

I don't know why icons are missing for most of the event types when running the report in Report Writer. However, I assume that if you ran the same report through the web console, all of the icons will appear properly.

Hope this helps.