This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cattools failed to connect via SSH to windows server

Hi,

I don't want to spam this forum, but I've spent 5days with troubleshooting without success and I didn't find any related issues on this server.

I tried to make access to windows server via SSH as I found here. But I failed every time with "Failed to determine hostname - no CR or LF".
On windows server is used bitwise winsshd with cisco style command prompt "hostname>" (as described in telnet settings).
I saw successful login on server but due to unknown reason (for me :P ) it finished with error mentioned above.
Captured file is attached.

Thanks a lot in advance

Tom

DebugLog-1-bg3ts7099.txt

• Tom - to get immediate attention, you might open a support ticket and they can look at the attached file. 

--Christine 

• Tom--

When you open a support ticket, could you:

--Reference this thread to Support.
    --Post back here with a case number.
    --Post any solutions you get from Support.

Many thx,

M

• Tom,

Looks from your debuglog that there is a whole bunch of VT100 escape sequence characters being returned by your device, which is possibly causing issues when CatTools is trying to determine the device hostname.

Could you try the 'Cygwin' device type script in CatTools as this removes these type of characters.

Failing that, I'd recommend the 'Generic.Device' device type and then use Variations to strip out these escape sequence chars www.kiwisyslog.com/.../dev_devicevariations.htm (see the 'Modify Output' tab)

Please post back your results.

Regards,

Steve

• Hi Steve,

thanks a  lot for good hint.  For others I have to describe the whole story and the list of of actions what I've done :)

Reason why I'm asking - need setup windows 2k3 server as a jump host to access cisco and bluecoat devices via SSH. ( no other way how to do it, telnet was denied on FW on the way). 

I've tested some apps for SSH server access with these resuls:

openssh - authentification failed ( cannot login) due to some NTLM error

CopSSH(4.1) - works fine with cattols with settings no router enable. But in case of using it as a  jump host I got this error message - "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal." ( issue with cygwin)

Bitwise Winsshd - via some SSH client like Putty works fine, same as jumphost as well. But not with cattools. I tried to set it up as linux/sun/cygwin with all possible combinations of command prompt type ( hostname>,hostname$, hostname#). Based on that I've written this threat. 

Back to your recomendation - Cygwin device model generated same error, generic device works fine with correctly filled columns: username prompt,password prompt, standard prompt, full hostname prompt ,full VTY prompt, Strip VTY100, invalid Command) 

But another issues occurred emoticons_sad.png :

1) I'm testing this issue on free cattools version 3.6.0 ( on my laptop), but in production we have licence for 3.5.0 ( there's no variations settings). Is there any way how to migrate tested settings for the window host ?

2) Is it possible that somehow these settings for windows server affected ssh connections to cisco/packeer devices (attached capture file) ? I'm using linux server as jump host to another network without any problems .

DebugLog2.txt

Thanks a lot to all for support and I do apologize for creating question.

Cheers

Tom

• Tom,

The Generic.Device was I believe available in 3.5.0.  Also variations I think was also included, but only just for the Generic.Device type, and the variations was not in UI form.

You're 3.6.0 version should have created the necessary variations script file though (check the Variations folder).

You should be able to copy this across to 3.5.0, just ensure the device name is set-up the same in 3.5.0.

Steve