This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SNMP info Test fails trying to add a node

FormerMember
FormerMember

Evaluating UDT.  It has added all the 7 switches I've tried so far, even the ancient 3com 3300XM's.  This one is a way newer 3com 3CDSG8 switch.  I define and Test, get back "test failed".  I hit Next instead of Test and it says "Node does not respond with the supplied read/write community string".  It's the other side of my firewall, but I think I have the filters defined.  I run Wireshark on the UDT server, I see the Get-request going out and the Get-response coming back.  Both with SNMP v2c.  Last of the outgoing request is this:

SNMPV2-MIB::sysobjectID.0 (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0): unspecified

and of the incoming response is this:

SNMPV2-MIB::sysobjectID.0 (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.2.0): 1.3.6.1.4.1.43.1.8.69 (SNMPV2-SMI::enterprises.43.1.8.69)

nd along the way the response includes a community: swudt which is what I've defined.  They seem to be talking, but not understanding.  Any ideas?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

The node is sending back get-response, but a deeper look turns up a warning in one of the responses with these lines:

error-status: no such name

the value must be in primitive encoding

BER error: Length:53 longer than tvb_remaining:48

So I guess my node doesn't like something about some of what it gets from my UDT

Any suggestions?

• Hi MCMurphy -

In your original post, you mentioned about hitting the 'Test' button.

I just would like to verify that this is the Test button you see on the 'Define Node' tab of the 'Add Node' wizard - correct?

Regards,

Steve

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Spartacus

yes, the Define Node tab.  I put in the IP, leave ICMP and External unchecked, SNMPV2c, 161, put in communty string.  If I press Test it says "Test failed".  If I press Next it says "node does not reply with the supplied read/write community string".  Either way I get the same sequence in the packet trace, including the mesage about the malformed packet.

• MCMurphy,

What version of code are you running on the 3CDSG8? Maybe there is a bug with that device?

When you do a full walk of the device, does it show you other OIDs or do they all return with unspecified?

Mav

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mavturner

I believe the swtich software is current.  I had to update once right after installing, but 3Com downloads lists that same version from April, 2009.  I did an snmpwalk to a text file, I can't say I undestand it all, but it lists out all sorts of info - here's some sample stuff:

iso.0.8802.1.1.2.1.3.8.1.6.1.4.63.171.86.157 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.43.1.8.69
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: 3Com 3CDSG8 - oc801_00_03
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.43.1.8.69
    DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (978044400) 113 days, 4:47:24.00
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING: Mike Murphy
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: EXT 3CDSG8
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysLocation.0 = STRING: NLK CR
    SNMPv2-MIB::sysServices.0 = INTEGER: 3
    IF-MIB::ifNumber.0 = INTEGER: 10
    IF-MIB::ifIndex.1 = INTEGER: 1

I can paste the whole thing in here if that will be helpful; or upload it if there's a place for that.  It concudes with the line "End of MIB", which I take to mean no errors.  Thanks

• Hi McMurphy,

I'll contact you offline as I need to gather some more info about the device and the trace from you.

Regards,

Steve 

• Hi Steve--

Could you post back with any results or a solution?

Thanks,

M

• Hi MCMurphy,

I've passed this on to the Orion CORE team to look into as this issue isn't specifically related to User Device Tracker functionality, its related to a core component of Orion.    At first glance it tends to point to a device issue in that the device is sending back an incorrect get-response to a set-response sent from Orion.

For reference this case is being tracked internally under FB68882.

Regards,

Steve

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Spartacus

My understanding of the problem is that when I'm adding this switch as a node, UDT wants to verify the Read-Write community string.  The switch does not respond as expected, so the verification fails; the Add Node fails.  The workaround is to leave the Read-Write string blank when defining the node, and then skip the Test, just press Next insted of Test to add the node.  Then the Add Node works.  I can Edit the Node at that point to add the Read-write string.